Landlord shut our water off -- Trailer park in Wisconsin

This is a discussion on Landlord shut our water off -- Trailer park in Wisconsin within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; The owner of our trailer park shut the water off to our home we live in WI and there have ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Unregistered

Angry Landlord shut our water off -- Trailer park in Wisconsin

The owner of our trailer park shut the water off to our home we live in WI and there have been storms and freezing. He gave no notice nothing in writing didnt knock. Said he shut it off because we had a leak which he knew we do not have he was mad because we have to runs some water to keep our pipes from freezing and he knows this because he told me he was sick of his lots water bill going up at this time of year and we were not the only people he shut off. He told me we could turn it back on and the turn on was under the trailer. Both myself and huband are disabled and can not do that we asked friends to come over and help and they could not find this mystery valve either. I contacted him again and told him this and he said he was out of town and could not help us but would be back in town and would do it today. It has not gotten done we are now over 35 hrs with no water and dont know when or if hes coming back.. What is our recourse ? We have called and texted him today with no answer. Can we go to a hotel since he made our home unlivable by turning off the water and not giving us any notice. And if the pipes freeze who should have to pay for that? This guy is a real jerk who cussed me out when i called him the 2nd time and told him we could not turn it back on. What can we do on a Sunday night and was that even legal for him to do??
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Landlord shut our water off -- Trailer park in Wisconsin

In your case, the Landlord has committed a breach of agreement. The remedies for this breach of agreement will be governed by your Landlord Tenant agreement. There is a duty on the part of the Landlord to supply water to your house. Further, cutting down water in winter has acted against you as firstly water is a basic necessity to live and secondly the problem gets aggravated in winter. Hence, there is a breach of Implied Warranty of Habituality. You can claim for the expenses you may have to incur in order to get water and also for the discomfort caused to you.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Landlord shut our water off UPDATE

He turned us back on this morning at 7:59AM. Right before we could make a complaint or anything was open to make a complaint to. And he shut us off at the main valve to our home not under our trailer like he said. There for there was no way we could turn the water back on like he said we could. So he left us with no water for just under 48 hrs.Knowing there was no way to turn it back on over the weekend and noone could help us. He also didnt come tell us he turned it back on he tried to drive away my husband stoped him and called him out for what he did he said we had a leak but there is no leak and was basicly mocking my husband. The LL admitted to me on the phone during my first call to him, he shut others people off as well,because he was sick of paying the high water bills in the winter time. I am now affraid hes gonna try and evict us when our lease is up in Febuary and we can't move our trailer because we have add ons that cant move with us. We bought it this way. Were just afraid hes gonna try this again this winter or whenever he thinks he can get away with it.

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Unregistered

Under the law, a landlord cannot arbitrarily shut off water simply because he doesn't want to pay the bill. If that's the case, he shouldn't be a landlord.

If he does it again, contact the proper authorities.

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Unregistered

report him to your city housing dept too!

Bookmark & Share

Tags
utility shut off

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2796 times