bedbugs (state laws concerning landlords bed bug infestation)

This is a discussion on bedbugs (state laws concerning landlords bed bug infestation) within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; Arizona. What are the Arizona state laws concerning landlords and bed bug infestation?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused bedbugs (state laws concerning landlords bed bug infestation)

Arizona. What are the Arizona state laws concerning landlords and bed bug infestation?
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #2
sandra's Flag is: United States

Default Re: bedbugs

Overview of Arizona Residential Landlord Tenant Law
Overview of Arizona Residential Landlord/Tenant Law

For information regarding the Landlord Tenant Act please click here. For information regarding the Arizona Mobile Home Parks Residential Landlord and Tenant Act please click here. You may pick up a copy of the Landlord Tenant Act or the Mobile Home Parks publication from customer service at the following locations: 14 N. 18 Ave in Phoenix or 400 W. Congress 2nd Floor, Room 252 in Tucson.

AZ Residential Landlord & Tenant Act
WARDEX - AZ Residential Landlord & Tenant Act

Quote:
Landlords vs. Tenants: Who Pays When Bed Bugs Invade?

Legislation recently introduced in the New Jersey Legislature as Assembly Bill 3203 would force landlords to shoulder the entire financial burden of combating bed bugs by making them solely responsible for conducting annual inspections, distributing and displaying educational material created by the state, immediately treating reported bed bug infestations, and maintaining a bed bug-free environment throughout the apartment building or complex. Similar bills are under consideration in other states.

Source:
Landlords vs. Tenants: Who Pays When Bed Bugs Invade? - a knol by Douglas Stern

Buyer Beware: Bed Bugs Can Squash Real Estate Deals

An ancient human scourge has returned to cause panic among home and property owners, home buyers and realtors. Bed bugs have invaded every state in the U.S. and reports of infestations have increased exponentially nationwide over the past few years. In a national survey of pest control companies conducted by noted bed bug authority Michael Potter for Pest Management Professional, Potter found, “A whopping 91% of respondents reported their organizations had encountered bed bug infestations in the past two years. Only 37% said they encountered bed bugs more than 5 years ago.”

Until a few years ago, most pest control companies said it was unusual to receive even one or two calls a year about bed bugs. Since 2004, however, bed bug complaints have grown exponentially with pest control companies nationwide now averaging between 10 and 50 calls a week. In major metropolitan areas, some companies are fielding 100 or more bed bug complaints each week. Some experts are predicting that 2008 will be the Year of the Bed Bug. Cindy Mannes, spokesperson for the National Pest Management Association, said bed bugs have become a serious problem in every state, noting, “There are some who call it the pest of the 21st century.”

Read more:
Buyer Beware: Bed Bugs Can Squash Real Estate Deals

Landlord/Tenant Rights - State and Local Laws

Most states and some jurisdictions have Landlord Tenant Acts specific to the area. These laws vary significantly and state laws will govern the provisions of any lease.

ARIZONA: Security deposits cannot exceed one and a half times the monthly rent. To bring an eviction action, the landlord must first serve a five-day notice to vacate the premises in person, by certified mail, or at the premises. If notice is sent by certified or registered mail, the tenant is assumed to have received the notice on the date the tenant signs for it or five calendar days after it was mailed, which ever occurs first. State law mandates that the trial be held no sooner than three and no later than six business days after the complaint was filed. If the complaint is for non-payment of rent and the landlord accepts payment of all rent due and reasonable late fees identified in the written agreement, attorney fees and court costs, the rental agreement is reinstated and the case will be automatically be dismissed. An eviction order is issued no earlier than the sixth calendar day after judgment if the tenant has not moved out of the rental unit. The order instructs the sheriff or constable to evict the tenant. Lockouts and utility shutoffs by the landlord prior to 24 hours after the issuance of a writ are unlawful. Unlawful lockouts and utility shutoffs may entitle the tenant two months' free rent. Security deposits must be returned within 14 business days from the time the tenant vacates the premises.

More info available at:
Landlord/Tenant Rights: Encyclopedia of Everyday Law

Cockroaches and Bed Bugs
cockroaches and bed bugs

“Bed Bugs” Lawyer Looks to Flip Hamptons Real Estate
“Bed Bugs” Lawyer Looks to Flip Hamptons Real Estate - Law Blog - WSJ

Landlord Tenant Laws - Bed Bugs
Landlord Tenant laws - bed bugs - Landlord / Tenant - Avvo.com

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #3
dannyboy123

Default Re: bedbugs (state laws concerning landlords bed bug infestation)

I manager 700 apartments and all the problems with bed bugs are from Indian Residents, 99%, Indians or Pakastani bring them in their luggage, and so do their friends and guest. It is becoming an epidemic...

Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Unregistered

Maybe US customs shd check for that?

Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Unregistered

Interesting discussions. However, to address the question asked.

Pest management depends on the type of housing. If a multi-family property, the LL is responsible for pest eradication. If a single family unit, the tenant is responsible. The reasoning for this is clear. In multi-family housing, the pests could come from someone else's unit into yours. So the LL has the responsibility to exterminate. In a single family house, unless they are present when you move in, the pests are yours and your responsibility to exterminate.

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Alexandra Yu

Hello,
could you tell please, who pays for bed bugs treatment in California - landlord or tenant.
Thank you beforehand,

Alexandra

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Unregistered

Again, this depends on the type of unit. If you rent a single family unit and/or if you did something to cause the infestation, you pay. Things you may have done are: visiting someone whose residence was infested, bringing in 2nd hand or used furniture or toys, bringing a box of used books, bring them home in luggage from a vacation, etc. If you live in a multiple family unit and this wasn't your fault, or if you live in a single family house that had them at move in, the LL pays.

Old Sep 15th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Unregistered

Confused Re: bedbugs (state laws concerning landlords bed bug infestation)

I manage a multi-tenant property and we have never had a problem with bedbugs until now. A tenant moved in four months ago and now we have bedbugs in that apartment. She claims that she didn't bring them in, but we've had all the other apartments checked around hers, and there aren't any bugs outside her unit. Further, our exterminator found old, dead bugs in her bedframe, which she admits she bought used off someone on craigslist. We have covered the cost of treatment for the apartment, but the tenant refuses to throw out the mattress or the bedframe, or to wash her clothes in hot water (she complained of shrinkage). Do we have any recourse? I understand that the owner is responsible for bug infestation, but this is clearly the tenant's infestation, and I don't want to keep treating the apartment because she refuses to properly deal with the problem. Worse, she's only one door down from the laundry room, and I am nervous that the bugs could end up spreading to the whole building. We are in California. What do I do?

Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy123 View Post
I manager 700 apartments and all the problems with bed bugs are from Indian Residents, 99%, Indians or Pakastani bring them in their luggage, and so do their friends and guest. It is becoming an epidemic...
Well, I have been to India and never heard any problem in any hotels or anything. I searched if they have such issue in India before I went. It's US which has this problem. Maybe wooden houses is the issue for so many bugs in here.

Old Jul 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I manage a multi-tenant property and we have never had a problem with bedbugs until now. A tenant moved in four months ago and now we have bedbugs in that apartment. She claims that she didn't bring them in, but we've had all the other apartments checked around hers, and there aren't any bugs outside her unit. Further, our exterminator found old, dead bugs in her bedframe, which she admits she bought used off someone on craigslist. We have covered the cost of treatment for the apartment, but the tenant refuses to throw out the mattress or the bedframe, or to wash her clothes in hot water (she complained of shrinkage). Do we have any recourse? I understand that the owner is responsible for bug infestation, but this is clearly the tenant's infestation, and I don't want to keep treating the apartment because she refuses to properly deal with the problem. Worse, she's only one door down from the laundry room, and I am nervous that the bugs could end up spreading to the whole building. We are in California. What do I do?
our landlord had treated one of the buildings 3 times and could not figure out where they kept coming from. when the bug people found the source they took the furniture that was infested and put it by the trash. (that part was illegal) but the guy dragged all his nasty furniture BACK into the apartment. since he re infested the apartment he was evicted and was sued for the cost of re treating the building. not just his unit but the whole building.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 16732 times