Section 8 voucher rules

This is a discussion on Section 8 voucher rules within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; Originally Posted by Unregistered This guy apparently is not well educated. If a tenant is going threw an eviction due ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:50 AM   #21
Unregistered

Default Re: Section 8 voucher rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This guy apparently is not well educated. If a tenant is going threw an eviction due to lapse in rent they will automatically qualify for legal aide. Recipients of Section 8 are more likely not to renig on there portion of the rent.

If a section 8 recipient is in default to there current landlord they can not use there Section 8 voucher to rent any other residence until there current landlord is paid in full. So this means they will lose there section 8 voucher if they do not pay there rent portion to there current landlord in full.

The section 8 recipient must also have all there rent bills paid up to date in order to move from there current house or apartment like gas, water, sewer and any other bill that can land on the property owners yearly property taxes. So section 8 recipients are far less likely to not pay there rent. I own many properties and most of my issues stem from full cash paying clients.

I have to agree with you Poster #20. And disagree with this poster. It is not unusual for a S8 tenant to fail to pay their co-payment for the rent. Many times, they believe since it is such a small amount, it will not matter if they don't pay it. They don't realize that they can be evicted for non-payment if they fail to pay their share. And yes, S8 tenants qualify for free legal aide attorneys.

The program guide says they will lose their voucher. The reality is that they usually don't. S8 has, many times, allowed them to just move out of the unit. Has allowed them to use that voucher for another unit. Has even allowed evicted tenants to keep their vouchers. All this, despite the program guidelines saying that these things will not occur. I even saw a tenant who was evicted due to a drug raid in their unit KEEP their S8 voucher and simply move to a new unit. Obviously, that is against their program guidelines too. Those people are supposed to be immediately disqualified for the vouchers.

Tenants frequently move out owing water, sewer, trash, gas, and electric bills. S8 doesn't pay for those and doesn't care. That is the tenant's problem as far as they are concerned. (Often the tenant will move to another area of the county where the utilities are under another company, or simply put the utilities in the new place in another household member's name. I've seen many lawsuits from these utilities against the owner to attempt to recoup payment for the delinquent tenant's bills.) If the LL is supposed to collect these from the tenant as per the lease agreement, that is the LL's problem according to the S8 caseworkers (to whom I have spoken MANY times.) S8 caseworkers do not want to be responsible for anything beyond their share of the rent as per the contract. They have too many cases to worry about what each individual tenant does or doesn't do.

While I am glad this particular poster has had no problems with his S8 tenants, if he does have, he will find out there is no way to collect the money they owe.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #22
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Section 8 voucher rules

i was on s8 for 9 years in oakland county michigan, s8 caseworker failed to pay their portion
of my rent for some months unknown to me while i payed my rent on time every month.im on
ssi i was told by the s8 worker don't worry about it i won't get evicted, well i was unfairly evicted
and put off the program for non payment of rent i went to legal aid and they didnt help me what
can i do now?

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #23
Unregistered

This is a new twist on the S8 program. Why did the caseworker not pay? Did they re-evaluate you without your knowledge and mark you ineligible? Did the caseworker not enter the LLs information or your information into the computer (to allow checks to be authorized)? You need to find out WHY they didn't pay. Did they send you a letter to say why? Whenever you are removed from a program like this, a letter is sent to explain and give you a chance to appeal. Get that letter. Go to the office and ask for a copy of that letter.

If they didn't pay because you were no longer eligible, you can appeal the finding of ineligibility. Perhaps the caseworker typed in the wrong income number in the computer, or maybe she mixed up your information with someone else with a similar name. Caseworkers usually have well over 100 cases apiece. It could simply be a clerical error. If so, they can correct this and place you back on the program.

If they cancelled you from the program because of lease or program violations (you had unauthorized people living with you, you failed to follow the lease, etc.), you will have to wait the required amount of time then reapply for the program.

Get a copy of the explanation letter, and repost with that information so we can help you.

Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #24
Unregistered

Angry Re: Section 8 voucher rules

I have read so many comments on here and it is more than plain that the majority of you have a NEGATIVE thought pattern when it comes to Sec 8 tenants. NOT ALL sec8 tenants are low income and what do u consider low income. we do not ALL work part time at min wage so PLEASE stop spreading that lie... many of us work full time jobs making pretty good money but still cannot afford 900 a month for a 3 bedroom plus pay utilities, buy food and take care of our families. I know plenty of two parent households that are struggling to stay above water, so are they low class, or low income because they can barely pay their rent. I also know plenty of people who work full time and make good money who live like slobs, and are nasty and who damage property. So please do not think that if you rent to a working person WITHOUT Sec 8 that you are going to get a nice, lovely person who will take care of your property...
and YES i guess it depends on where you live as to a lot of your comments about the rules and regulations. because my aunt died and her daughter was given her voucher and i know several families where that was the case... i live in Massachusetts and laws can vary city to city... In Springfield where i live now, you get a voucher two to a room plus a bedroom for the parent, no matter the age of the children so when my son turned 18 and his brother was only 6 i cold not get a bigger apartment. But if i could find a 4 bedroom within the base for what sec 8 pays for a 3bedroom i could get that. In VA where my cousin lives she can just pay the difference. but in GA where id like to move it is two children to a room regardless of sex or age (and i called to be sure on this, maybe this to varies city by city (i hope) which means, if i only had my 19 year old son and my 10 year old daughter they'd have to share a room. (again i called and asked this question and was told "yes two to a room regardless of sex or age" Ewww NASTY"
your remarks are no more than slander and discriminative, you are lumping ALL sec8 families into one pile and saying they are ALL this way and its because they are on sec8... NO those families are that way, because they would be regardless of being on sec 8 or not.. and judges don't want to kick any one out on the streety whether you are sec 8 or not, they want to work it out they want to give more chances than some deserve.. but its not just for sec 8.. please again STOP SPREADING THESE LIES...
unless you have MET ALL SEC 8 families ad can tell me you don't know ANYONE, who works PT/FT and just pays rent that is nasty, or damages property stop making these accusations. it makes it hard for people that are decent to get an apartment, because now a LL has been told that ALL sec8 people are low income, work only pt, make minimum wage and will destroy their property and then they wont be able to recover from their losses.
Whether sec8 or a normal paying tenant you need to be careful who you rent to, you need to get references and sec8 people have them just like anyone else. be careful who you rent to no matter who how they are paying... is just being a smart landlord!!! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #25
Unregistered

Angry Re: Section 8 voucher rules

I have Section 8 and I'm not a dirty person. It's me my husband,son and daughter. and just because the people on section 8 was able to get the aaistance dont be jealous because you have to pay everything and we get help. It's not that we dont work cause we both do every little thing help's. as for the ones that have something bad to say about people on Section 8 kiss our ass and dont hate.

Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #26
Unregistered

OK, I have a sec8 voucher, I was out of work for a while on disability, I took all the paper work over to my worker. She then sent me a letter telling me what my portion of the rent would be while out of work. I recently got a letter from disability telling me what my weekly benefits would be. I took that letter over to my worker at the sec8 office, and at the same time i told my worker that i would be going back to work part time. She had me to put that in writing. I receive another letter telling me what my portion of the rent is going to be as of march 1st and my share of the rent is paying all of it, and there share is at 0 percent. Im very up set because how can i be paying more now working part time then i was paying working full time hours? it makes no sense. sec8 portion is 0. what i think is maybe she added my disability check in with my full time hours because i haven't given any pay stubs yet from working part time hours because i just went back to work I haven't been paid yet. and does this mean that i lose the sec8 because there portion is 0??? what do i need to do? help!!

Old May 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM   #27
Unregistered

I find this all funny!
My husband has a felonly charge from 21 yrs ago (having fireworks) How stupid is that.We didnt get a apartment because of that. but a sex offender has rights to live near you go figure. as for section 8 you can go up in bedroom size not down and the landlord can charge you first,last and damages that i am sure will cover all damages. I know people as we speak that are as you would say stand up/good jobs that are losing the home right now to the bank because they no longer have that great job. All tentants have more rights then landlords. And most people do not want to lose there vouchers to something so stupid. You really should be careful with the choice of words you use you might just find youself on the other side of the fence. I quote my mother " not everything lasts forever . I went from making 1200 a week to having three months to live needing a tranplant. to getting one and making 800 a month. I am a great person and i have the lord in my life he always provides...
GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Old May 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #28
MoeCharl's Flag is: United States

I rented to a S8 and she left the premises for 6 to 8 weeks without telling anyone. A pipe bust and 25,000 gallons of water went into my mobile home. Citizens insurance does not cover pipe bursts. She had no renters insurance and now she is suing me for $12,000.00. The rental came 90% furnished with MY furniture. I offered another place for her to live and she turned me down. I'm trying to see if I can take her to small claims court for the rest of the rent that is owed. Even though it is only $160.00, it is SOMETHING. Instead of a counter sue , I'm wondering if I can just send a letter of demand of that? Does anyone know?? I cannot afford a lawyer. She totally destroyed the mobile home 100% destruction. I lost everything!
MoeCharl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #29
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From first hand, personal experience. I would suggest staying far, far away from section 8. I have lived and worked in properties that allowed this program, you will have a 1 in 20 chance of getting a good tenant. I have seen first hand what happens to properies rented through this program and it is not pretty. The other poster is completely correct when they state you will take a loss either from non-payment of the monies the tenant has to pay out of pocket, or from destruction of the property. You dont see any advocates of this program living anywhere near a section 8 property!
I am a section eight tenant and always pay my rent on time i work partime and i take good care of the property as ****ty as the landlords who own it is!

Old Aug 21st, 2013, 08:01 AM   #30
Unregistered

I am currently on section 8 with a 3 bedroom voucher. It is unfortunate that people are quick to judge those who use this program (although I understand why some do). I am a single mother and lost everything (it is a sad yet uplifting story) and had to seek the help of the voucher program. Yes, there are many people who do not care for the property they rent but sometimes this is the case regardless if they are on S8 or not. I can say, personally, that I care for ones property as if it were my own (I never understood why and how people would want to destroy a place they call home, even if it is temporary). The thing I find difficult is a lot of LL will tell me they have had bad experiences renting to a person on S8 and they are hesitant or unwilling to do it again. I work fulltime, go to school fulltime (Dean's list) as well as take care of 3 children on my own, I have no criminal background, no history with drugs or violence and believe I have some sort of OCD because my home is always clean (yes, I need a nap sometimes )...I am simply a woman who had bad luck for a minute. My children's safety and education is of the most importance to me and I have found it difficult to find a nice quiet place where I can have my privacy and allow my children to play outside without having to worry too much. Sometimes, people hear the words "section 8" and I am left to continue my search. I am grateful to be on the program and eventually will be in a position where I will no longer need it and can give it up, allowing another person the opportunity to better themselves. Until then, I will continue with what I am doing and maybe one day I will be granted the opportunity to reside in a nice area where my children can be provided everything they need to benefit their futures.
** this comment is in no way, shape or form meant to make anyone feel offended. I just wanted to clear the air as far as what people may think about S8 tenants and in regards too myself (I held my thoughts in for a long time). I do agree that a LL should do as much of a background check as possible for their own protection. The complex I am living in now is in a decent area (I want privacy though) and management does a VERY thorough background check (pretty much collect everything except your blood) and still there was a HUGE drug bust in the building next to me the other day where the guy got busted with an insane amount of heroine and cocaine. I had no idea...I don't think anyone did. All I can think is my kids play around here. I guess you never know....

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 13337 times