Where can a felon find an apartment?

This is a discussion on Where can a felon find an apartment? within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; You don't have to rent to or hire felons, thank God....

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #21
Unregistered

Default re: Where can a felon find an apartment?

You don't have to rent to or hire felons, thank God.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #22
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is ILLEGAL to discriminate against an ex-offender (this includes a convicted felon) when make a hiring decision. This is provided under the EEOC. (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). I got the information from a reliable source the quoted the exact statute. They can ask, but they cannot flatly deny you solely because of that. There has to be a direct risk pertaining to the job you are applying.

Now, for homes and leases, I would assume the same thing under the Fair Housing Act. You may want to research that.

Personally, if I was ever denied because of any WHITE COLLAR felony offense, I would immediately file a lawsuit against the landlord or association / management. Make sure they put in writing the reason you are being denied. Take their ass to court.

By the way, under your sorry logic that felon's are just like bad credit folks and fall under normal and reasonable risk screening you are mistaken, and I will tell you why.

It is also a fact that african americans have a higher rate of committing crime than whites and Im sure we could dig up some more statistical bad habits that just aren't kosher to your guidelines, so by that logic, I would choose to rent to white people only. After all, statistics represent this to be a reasonable risk assessment based on factual evidence.

You are right AND like the movie (Crimson Tide), You are also WRONG.

Its discrimination all the same. It's wrong. But sadly until recidivism goes below 50% for felons, the hopes of ever getting criminal records sealed is lost. Simply because the public safety is better served with the eternal damnation criminal reports against a felon that the felon who won't commit a future crime is disenfranchised.

BELOW 50%, this is KEY. Once it goes it below 50% the harm to ex-felons becomes greater in number than the benefits to the public.

You assume wrong. The FEDERAL Fair Housing laws say you "may not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin." Nothing about criminal history in there. LL's routinely screen out those with criminal histories and it is legal in almost every area to do so. As well we should.

Renting is not EMPLOYMENT. And even then, employers who are hiring people who handle money, are in jobs where they have access to personal customer information, who have access to sensitive information, or those in security positions may still deny based on criminal history. (Try applying for a job as a prison guard with a record! Or in a federal power plant.)

It is perfectly LEGAL to deny housing to those with criminal records (white collar crimes or not). Any lawsuit based on that would be tossed out of court. Your assumption that accepting only criminally free people means you don't rent to African Americans is incorrect. We deny felons. White, black, purple, whatever the color. Anyone who is stupid enough to commit a felony (no matter the color, race, religion, etc.) is denied. Millions of African Americans are upstanding members of the community and have no criminal records. They are accepted according to the same criteria as any applicant.

All felons are denied. Yes, it is discriminatory. But all discrimination is not illegal. Discrimination is defined as: treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination; the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment. You discriminate every day. You chose which color clothes to wear and which color you never wear. You chose what car to drive, and which car you would never drive. Do you look at the merits of that tiny little car that you don't want? Of course not. You just don't want it. Is that discriminatory. Of course. We look for criminal histories. If you have one, you are denied. Discriminatory, yes. Illegal, no. Only discrimination based on the illegal classes according to federal laws or state/local laws is illegal.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #23
StressedOUT!!!

I can't find an apartment and I only have 2 misdemeanors. One from when I was 18 years old which was 11 years ago and the other from 7 years ago. People make mistakes and grow from them. Apartments should be more lenient on misdemeanors that happened years ago....

Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #24
Unregistered

Unless these misd. were from violent or drugs charges, they are probably not affecting you in getting a unit. Chances are it is some other factor that is getting you denied. LLs look at your employment history, income, rental & payment history, your court records (including evictions & judgments against you) and your credit report. Could it be any of these things?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #25
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You don't have to rent to or hire felons, thank God.
Not all felons are bad! My hubby was in a bad car accident and got a felony. Sadly 20yrs later we are relocating due to job and cannot find an apartment. We can buy a house but its only a year job transfer which is not worth it in this economy.

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #26
Unregistered

Confused re: Where can a felon find an apartment?

The truth is that even when doing everything in compliance and making the income requirements, we are still dicriminated against. It's a shame that I may now end up losing a good job, living on the streets and having no way to become a 'productive' member of society because of this dillema.

The solution should not be to have us living with people who are on drugs and drinking and basically making a mockery out of those of us that are striving for a future of simple values and stability. This has to be addressed but how? And sooner rather than later. We can save the tax dollars because with a roof over our head, we want to work and pay rent and feel good about ourselves. Tragic, really.

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM   #27
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Where can a person that has a felony find an apartment?

Please advice asap !!
U know what this is crazy. My boyfriend has the most non violent non drug related felony in the world evaiding arrest in a motor vehicle. We get denied like clockwork. He was 17 years old when his father told him that if he got into trouble one more time that he would be living on the streets. The next day on his way home an officer was pulling him over and all he thought about was im gonna be living on the streets so he drove two streets down to his house and they charged him with evaiding arrest. It was his first offense and the judge and him made an agreement that he'd take probation. After the completion of his probation his felony would come off his record. Bull**** the state of Texas ****ed him excuse my language and the very same officer that pulled him over died 3 months after pulling him over. Some good did come from this he obtained a degree at San Jacinto College in Automotive Collision and Body Repair and that same institution offered him a job as an instructor at the College. He's been teaching for three years and makes 35k + a year. The only problem is we can't find a place to live he has good credit makes three times the rental rate and we still get denied. In America they teach you that if you go to school and get a higher education u can do what? LIVE COMFORTABLY well what happened to our part of the american dream. AMERICA EATS THEIR BABIES. thats all I have to say and to all those leasing agents and managers shame on you for denying felonies that aren't drug related sex related etc... because beleive it or not your not keeping felons out. They'll find a way to go around the hurdle because as you know u can always get someone else to sign the lease and the felon can move in and you won't find out because you don't have time to go knock on everyones door and make sure the person or persons living their are on the lease now do you. Looks to me all you guys are doing is discriminating. I bet if management did an investigation on their complexes they would find that about 35% of their tenants aren't even on the lease. Trust me I know. My boyfriend just doesn't want to not be on the lease because he believes in ownership or feeling like he's fully responsible not just putting my name and my brothers name on the lease and he lives their.

Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM   #28
Unregistered

Default Re: Where can a felon find an apartment?

Most leasing agents require a photo ID to sign a lease, so someone else can't sign a lease for you. Most do twice yearly inspections of the rental, some even do 4x per year. (I know a few that come to rentals every month to "change furnace filters" and see who is living there.) That keeps felons out. Once it is discovered that unauthorized people are living in the unit, a cure or quit notice goes out to the lease signer. If the violation is not cured, the lease signer and all occupants are evicted. Few people are going to risk an eviction on their court records to get a place for you to live. Those people who would probably wouldn't qualify to rent the place at all.

Your BF made a mistake running from the law. In order for him to qualify for places, he's going to have to reveal that to the LL on the application and explain that he was young and made a very stupid decision. Some private LL will take a chance on such a person - stop trying to rent in complexes and try private LLs. But if a LL still wants to deny him, that is the LL's choice. It is not illegal to discriminate against people with felony convictions. It is only illegal to discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. Again, try private LLs to be accepted and explain the record as a bad mistake.

Old Apr 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #29
DGD

I was charged and given deferred adjudication for stealing a radar detector out of an unlocked car when I was 17 years old. I completed 2 years of probation and the charge was "dropped". I am now 40 years old, have 2 college degrees, am a state and federally licensed broker, and a father of a beautiful 8 year old daughter. I am also completely unable to rent an apartment because this juvenile offence continues to come up. I certainly understand that there are good reasons for doing background checks, but the specific circumstances should be considered.

Example:

One man rapes a child and is arrested, charged and convicted. He must register as a sex offender.
Another man needs to urinate and, since there is no restroom, pees behind a building and gets caught and convicted of indecent exposure. He must also register as a sex offender.

See the difference? One man is a pedophile...the other made a simple lapse in judgement, yet they are both convicted felons and considered SEX OFFENDERS!!

My point is that circumstances should be considered before passing judgement on a person. Obviously the guy who is a pedophile should be considered a threat and treated as such. The guy who peed outside should be allowed to live his life without the stigma of "sex offender" being applied.

I am not a threat to anyone or anything and have proven that for the last 23 years, and I should never be denied a place to live simply based on blind policy!! I messed up once...when I was a kid! Should I be made to pay for that mistake for the rest of my life?

Old Apr 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #30
Unregistered

Do you live in the U.S? Juvenile records are normally sealed and will not come up during a background check after the age of 18. Can you please further describe your circumstances so readers can better understand how you are being denied housing (rentals) at this stage of your life.

I agree that one's past does not automatically predict the future and kudos to you for dramatically bettering your life.

Let's not forget, people like "DOG", the bounty hunter was once a convict serving time in prison. He now has his own show and is considered a "celebrity".

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 149 replies and has been viewed 85324 times