My roommate won't let me out of my part of the lease

This is a discussion on My roommate won't let me out of my part of the lease within the Landlord vs Tenant Issues forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; I am trying to work something out with my roommate and get out of my lease since my new job ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Unregistered

Confused My roommate won't let me out of my part of the lease

I am trying to work something out with my roommate and get out of my lease since my new job requires me to travel 90% of the year. I live in Michigan. She is not agreeing to any of my suggestions. I suggested a new roommate (only willing if she knows them) or me paying only the rent instead of rent & utilities. I offered to find her a roommate too and pay for background checks. It is too expensive for me to pay rent and utilities and not even be there to utilize any of it. She is basically forcing me to stay there because I had committed to the lease. I understand I signed up for it but there has to be something I can do that will allow both of us to be happy with the end result....It is very hard since I am being limited to what can be done. Currently we are both on the lease and all utilities are under her name. The leasing office offered the option of someone taking over my lease (lease assignment) so I can get out or breaking the lease. She doesn’t want a roommate unless she knows them (which I can understand) and she will not split the fee for breaking the lease since I am the one who wants to leave.

Please help....I am not an aggressive person and don’t intend on wrong doing but really need to look out for my best interest in this situation.

Thank You for your assistance!!!
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: My roommate won't let me out of my part of the lease

Does your lease state that you are responsible for 1/2 the utilities? If not, and you aren't using any of those, you would only be accountable for 1/2 the rent. Pay the lease break fee or continue to pay 1/2 the rent until you can find another suitable roommate for her. I doubt a judge will hold you responsible for utilities you didn't use.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Unregistered

Confused Re: My roommate won't let me out of my part of the lease

I am getting a copy of my lease via fax since I am out of state and will thoroughly review it. Would I be liable for the full fee cost for breaking the lease or will she also have to pay half since we are both on it? Right now she isn't agreeing on breaking the lease unless I pay the full amount, which is high.

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Unregistered

Default Re: My roommate won't let me out of my part of the lease

Why would she be responsible for part of the lease break fee? She isn't breaking the lease, you are. The fee is yours alone.

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Unregistered

Confused Re: My roommate won't let me out of my part of the lease

yes I can understand that but part of the fee is one months rent and concession money we saved for the first six months of the lease. I just thought since that was split between us she would be held for at least her portion. I guess there are not too many options for me.

Thanks for your help.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2720 times