My employer canceled my health insurance without informing me

This is a discussion on My employer canceled my health insurance without informing me within the Other Labor Law Matters forum, part of the LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW category; Anoka, Minnesota MN -- My employer canceled my health insurance without informing me that they were going to cancel it. ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Anoka MN

Angry My employer canceled my health insurance without informing me

Anoka, Minnesota MN -- My employer canceled my health insurance without informing me that they were going to cancel it. I found out on 11/13 that they had canceled it as of 10/31. However, I had some Dr. appts. in between 10/31 and 11/13 and now I am getting the bills in the mail for those appts. I have been unable to work since May 2008, but, to my knowledge, I was still employed at my job, as I have not recieved anything telling me otherwise. Without medical insurance, I cannot see the doctor, and if I cannot see the doctor, I cannot submit the medical documentation to continue applying for ST disability (which has also been through my employer). I cannot afford COBRA because I do not have any income, aside from what I have recieved from disability in the past. Yet, I am supposed to be going to my doctor for follow-ups and on-going care and I have prescriptions that I have to get filled. I don't know what else I am able to do right now. I need health insurance and I can't afford to pay the bills that I received from the doctors when I did not know my insurance had been canceled. It was not my fault that I was not informed that my insurance was going to be canceled. I even received a new membership package in the mail from my insurance company, along with a new benefits card, prior to 10/31, which I took to mean that I was still insured. Does my employer have to let me know that they are canceling my insurance before they cancel it if I have been off work on disability through them? If I cannot afford COBRA. what else can I do to get insurance? Who is responsible for paying the bills that accumulated between 10/31 and when I finally found out I no longer had insurance? I feel as though there is something seriously wrong with this picture- I should have been notified about my insurance being canceled before it was canceled without me knowing about it. What are my options here? What can I do now? Please HELP ASAP!!!
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: My employer canceled my health insurance without informing me

Based on what you say here, you could file suit against them (or at least threaten to do so) in small claims court or in regular court; filing in small claims court is easier and requires no attorney...you could try to collect all of the costs and damages that you suffered due to their behavior... You may also report them to your state attorney general's office and the Dept of Labor office nearest you.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Unregistered

There is no law requiring a company to have health insurance for employees in most parts of the country. Some localities do require it such as San Francisco. So as long as they canceled insurance for all employees then what they did is legal and you will be responsible for those bills. If they only canceled yours then you do have a lawsuit on your hands.

Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Unregistered

Health insurance is a benefit, not a right., or required by law. They are guilty of no wrongdoing. Employers don't even have to offer insurance, or any other benefit.

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:01 AM   #5

Hello !!

It is rally a offence committed by your employer so,you can fire the case on him by consulting a goo lawyer.

You can get the proper advice from him to get your insurance back.

Thanks

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Unregistered

Wow. Lay off the booze while posting. "goo" lawyer?

Ignore that poster's advice. It is egregiously inaccurate and has no legal merit whatsoever.

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Unregistered

you all are crazy, ur right they dont have to offer but if they do supply you with insurance it is thier responsibilty to inform you one month before sudden cancelation.therefore responsible for all unpaid bills during that time.

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Unregistered

I'd rather be "crazy" than illiterate.

Old Jan 14th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Unregistered

U r all crazy she is not talking about not having an insurance she is talking about them canceling it. Yes u can file a law suite because they have to take proper steps to notify u of the cancellation I spoke to my attorney today that happened to me and I'm stuck with 1700 dollar bill

Old Jan 15th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #10
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

You have overly simplified the situation. There are many variables that could come into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
U r all crazy she is not talking about not having an insurance she is talking about them canceling it. Yes u can file a law suite because they have to take proper steps to notify u of the cancellation I spoke to my attorney today that happened to me and I'm stuck with 1700 dollar bill

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is online now   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 10683 times