Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination? (Michigan)

This is a discussion on Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination? (Michigan) within the Job Discrimination & Harassment forum, part of the Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination category; Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination if i do not answer my personal phone on my ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination? (Michigan)

Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination if i do not answer my personal phone on my days off and when I am not schedualed to work? She is constantly calling me and fellow employees stating "if i call you, you must answer all my calls and if you do not i will be firing you for a flagerent policy violation."

Is this legal???

I live in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination? (Michigan)

I wish to inform you that as an employer, the employer can terminate the services of any employee. However, this does not mean that the employer can harass you. The act of the employer can be termed as harassment and so the act of your employer is not legal. You can file a complaint against your employer but this may put your job on risk. As an employee you must answer only those demands which are legal. The purpose of threatening you with termination can be regarded as an act of harassment and hence a complaint can be filed with the office of the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination? (Michigan)

No. She is clearly enjoying the power trip of being boss. Your personal time is just that. Keep record of these phone calls. Get her on voicemail if you can. If she fires you, you will have an excellent case for harassment. You will also get unemployment benefits without having to fight for it.

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Unregistered

Get the beotch fired!!

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination? (Michigan)

What is the reason for her calls? And what kind of work do you do?

This info may make a lot of difference in the actual remedy for the situation.

And no one is *ever* guaranteed unemployment. Esp since we don't have answers to the above...

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Unregistered

Default Re: Is legal for my employer to threaten me with termination? (Michigan)

Im having the same issue with my employer. I work in a call center as tech support, my official title is Internet Support Rep. We were informed that we were now required to start selling services to customers as well. After a couple of months went by our department had a meeting with our department Management, to discuss lack of sales, we voice our main complaint which was not getting compensated for having to do extra work, the explaination that was given to us was that if we dont make sales we will get fired. Since then we have been threatend several more times that we could lose our jobs if we dont make our sales quota. Is that legal? What should i do?

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Unregistered

I will save this response, as it seems my posts are being deleted for no apparent reason.

Employers can threaten to fire, and they are within the law. It may be entirely unprofessional, but it's legal.

What should you do? Look for employment elsewhere, where the company comports business and treats employees with respect and a modicum of professionalism.

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Unregistered

Speaking of professionalism, Forum Admin, if you are going to delete posts entirely as if they never existed, at least have the professionalism and courtesy to give the reason why they were deleted.

Old Aug 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Unregistered

I work for an employer that has no respect for anyone who works for him. Because he has made me the asst. gen. manager he now thinks he owns me...every time he call he demands I call him back even on my day off... the right thing to do is find another job but Im unable to because I am raising my grand children and the hours work out for me and the kids.....he also knows this :_(

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Unregistered

Sounds pretty weak to me. I'm guessing you work in a restaurant where you have to budget and manage your time with utmost efficiency; and you do or you wouldn't have been promoted to your position. Be an adult and talk to your boss about the problem; budget your time outside of work to find a new job; grow up and stop crying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I work for an employer that has no respect for anyone who works for him. Because he has made me the asst. gen. manager he now thinks he owns me...every time he call he demands I call him back even on my day off... the right thing to do is find another job but Im unable to because I am raising my grand children and the hours work out for me and the kids.....he also knows this :_(

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 24604 times