bullying boss (verbal abuse, threats, intimidation)

This is a discussion on bullying boss (verbal abuse, threats, intimidation) within the Job Discrimination & Harassment forum, part of the Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination category; myself and my co-workers all went to human resources over our boss. she is horrible. we all deal with verbal ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1

Angry bullying boss (verbal abuse, threats, intimidation)

myself and my co-workers all went to human resources over our boss. she is horrible. we all deal with verbal abuse, threats, intimidation she has made reference to a person being to old for the job/slow minded/retarded, she has told people no one likes them or wants to work with them. on the whole we live in total fear of what she will do next we all finally got up the courage to go to h.r. armed to the gills with documentation everyone talked and believe me we were terrified but we were sure she would be fired. well a slap on the hand and nothing done to her now we are all s.o.l. because she will be out for blood. what can we do? do we have legal recourse? we are all blown away at the end result of this.
no more is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #2

Default re: bullying boss (verbal abuse, threats, intimidation)

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I am currently at odds with my boss over him harassing me about my sick time. He also proceeded to call me a liar to my face and also informed me that I have no friends here at work. It didnt stop there... he continued to falsely accuse me of things that didnt happen and things that supposebly happened on my own personal time, in shich I may add were all false accusations and what I consider not only harassment but defimation of character. I not only reported this conduct to my union Rep. but also to a higher up official in Albany. i am petrified of what the outcome may be of all of this but i can no longer sit back and be harassed, it litereally has made me sicker then what I already was. One of the big things with me is I love my job and this could get very ugly before it is all said and done. Let me also add that I work for the State of NY, NYSDEC. All I can say to you is be strong and the truth will prevail, it may not happen today or tomorrow but I am a firm beleiver of Karma and as they say what goes around comes around. Good luck and keep your chin up.
lexy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Unregistered

I am discriminated at work by the boss as well. I am a foreigner and not treated as local employees of the holding. The amount of hours I must work each week come to 50-60 hours and so many times I had to finish at midnight. All this overtime is unpaid. Very often I feel that time is not my own. I am constantly under control in the way when I start and finish my work, when I take my break and even when I am sick at home. It makes me feel very uncomfortable. I dont have enough time not only to look after my family, but to study and simply have a proper rest. Even on the weekends I am petrified bythe thought that on Monday I have to go to work again and face the bully.
I am working in the company for about 6 montha and still have not gota contract. As an explanation I got a statement that the boss is still looking on my performance and she does not know if she can work with me, because she is not satisfied with it. I cant understand it, because if you are not satisfied - you can get rid of the person during probation period. As a PA i a monitoring her emails and found her coresponding with the legal department about giving me formal warning. It happened quite a while a go, I ve seen a prepared draft of the warning with my name on it, but never actually got it officially. All this only cause stress and frustration.
When I was interviewd for the position I was informed that I would get a certain amount of training and supervision but apparently it was just half a day of handover and thats it. Now whether things are right or wrong I am spoken to in a degradive manner, often in front of others or discussed later with other employees of he holding that are not even in my department. it is nothing short of harrasement and bullying. I am persistently critisesed and regulary threatened with the sack and all this make me feel very unsecure and humiliated. I know it started affecting my health and stress became a part of my daily life. i have consulted my trade union and wrote a letter with my greviances, but the idea to give it to my boss simply made me sick. I fel so scared that whenever i think about this person my hands start shaking. I am affraid to lose my job, because my husband is unemployed at the moment and my earnings help us both to survive recession. A friendly colleague of mine told me that giving my greviances to her will not help at all and i will be fired straight away and if i would like to sue the company the preocess may last for years. So, I realise that it cant be like this anymore but cant work it out how to stop it.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #4
Unregistered

Angry re: bullying boss (verbal abuse, threats, intimidation)

Today I was late for work, and despite following company policy and calling to inform them that I would be in later than usual (a first for me, by the way), my boss decided to question me as soon as I arrived. I'd told him that I had accidentally set the wrong alarm, and in turn woke up late, and he tossed it off as a stupid excuse. I simply replyed that it wasn't an exscuse, but what simply happened. Later in the morning, I was called into his office, where he then proceded to ask me why my supervisor couldn't find me or get me to do any work.
This came as a surprise to me, because I'd been working ever since I clocked in today. I'm certain that my supervisor only played along because she was afraid of losing her job, but it pissed me off to no end to have this spineless maggot calling me a liar, and then telling me that I was working too slow. The only reason this really bothered me was for the fact that I carry a radio all day, and when either of my supervisors needs me to do something, they tend to be annoyingly adept at calling me to do whatever they need done. Today, however
the radio was pretty quiet, and I was working at a steady pace to get things done, and my supervisor was suspiciously quiet. Which is very out of character for her when things need to be done.

Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #5
Unregistered

Angry re: bullying boss (verbal abuse, threats, intimidation)

I also have a problem with my boss.everyone at my job is always nervous and stressed out when he comes into the office and with good reason....this guy is like the drill surgent from hell!!!He treats us all like were incompent to do our jobs and talks down to us and makes us feel horrible over the littlest mistakes.The other day he totally humilated me in front of all my co-workers and all our customers and then procceded to make a joke out of me crying at work to some fellow employees right in front of me.Also he resorted to poking me and this one other girl really hard in the arm when he wants our attention.We don't clock in or out and on top of that we get only one ten minute break a day for lunch and thats only if we work 4 hours or more.Also we have a common tip jar for the two seperate shifts and I believe he pockets what should belong to us!!!However this guy is very clever and I think he's found a way to do all these ****y things by the book....so what do I do?????I really want this guy to understand thats it's not okay to treat employees that way....help what CAN I do???

Old Sep 28th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Unregistered

It is not illegal but frankly if everybody agrees you may all want to let senior managers know how extensive the problem is. If everybody is complaining they will almost surely make a change.

Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Unregistered

Unfortunately, the only thing required to be a boss or a manager is simply ambition. It does not take patience, maturity, or even smarts.

If the guy is putting his hands on you in any way, that is assault. He is not allowed to do that. Report him to the higher ups, if he has them, or call the police and have him arrested for simple assault.

Look for another job and quit this one. Life is too short to put up with that. You don't HAVE to put up with any type of employment situation that makes you stressed out like this.

Old Nov 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Unregistered

The business has been up 4 days now, I've worked 3 of them, the third day my boss out of nowhere grabs from behind and "pushes" me while still holding to this wall then turns me around and yells at me in my face, I seriously didn't do anything wrong, he came back later and made fun of me saying "you think your to f***ing rich for this place?! I'll f***ing throw u out of here in ur toy truck next time u f*** up!" I had to do a delivery afterwards an the rest of the night I was traumatized, what should I do???

Old Nov 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #9
goodworker45

Question Re: bullying boss (verbal abuse, threats, intimidation)

I am feeling you. I have been in a similar situation and was recently dismissed from my job. I have some medical problems I have been treated for and had documentation from my doctor. Still I was harassed and humiliated in front of my coworkers, spied on ((trying to catch me doing something wrong etc.) and through it all my productivity remained high. I was called a liar and accused of "just wanting to blame everyone else" for what ever the boss thought I did wrong. That whole department lives in intimidation.

My questions are: Can an employer just dismiss an employee for no reason? Can they threaten to dismiss you if you don't take a lesser paying position? I would not think this would be legal.

Old Jun 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Daisy1967

Default Re: bullying boss (verbal abuse, threats, intimidation)

How do I catch My Boss Vebally abusing me. I can't find any Recording devices that are small enough to hide. Do they make 8 hr recorders that look like hearing aids?

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 27763 times