WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY & INTERNET LAW > Internet Law > Can I sing other artists (copyrighted) songs? Can I do a concert with other's songs?

Can I sing other artists (copyrighted) songs? Can I do a concert with other's songs?

This is a discussion on Can I sing other artists (copyrighted) songs? Can I do a concert with other's songs? within the Internet Law forum, part of the INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY & INTERNET LAW category; I have a youtube for about a year now, 150,000 views. I sing songs on it (I don't own rights ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #1
nikkii305mia's Flag is: United States

Default Can I sing other artists (copyrighted) songs? Can I do a concert with other's songs?

I have a youtube for about a year now, 150,000 views. I sing songs on it (I don't own rights to the songs). I hear a lot of people got their videos taken down because of this. However I have never gotten any of my videos taken down (i have about 30). I do post the artist and song name on title and description.

I recently found this post on the internet:
"cover songs", youtube, and copyright law? - Yahoo! Answers

"covers" just means you sing someone else's songs.

According to the website, singing someone else's song is legal, but you can not make money off of it. Is this correct? (1) so I can't do a little local concert with ~500 people and sing other people's songs and charge them money to enter?

(2) Can I sell merchandise from my youtube? For instance, I can put Justin Beiber cover, so when they search for the singer Justin Bieber, my song will come up, but on the bottom of my song, can I put a link to my personal website and sell personal items of mines (like t-shirts and photos). these items are pictures and shirts with my picture not of the famous singers. Or would this be illegal since I am using someone else's name and copyrighted song to bring customers to my website (since they have to search the famous singer/songer, than they find me singing it, than they find my site)?
nikkii305mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I sing other artists (copyrighted) songs? Can I do a concert with other's son

I wish to inform you that there exists copyright in two different types of cases. First is copyright of song which is not breached if you sing song in your voice and exploit song in your name. Second case is when copyright is taken of wordings of songs. In case wording of songs are under copyright then you can be held in violation of copyright because you are making commercial use of copyright wording by posting video on Youtube with a link to your Website to bring customers to it to sell personal items.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #3
nikkii305mia's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can I sing other artists (copyrighted) songs? Can I do a concert with other's son

Ok, another question. If I sing other people songs (popular songs that are played on radio/tv, I am sure these are copyright). Anyways, can I create a concert and charge people money to buy tickets and sing these songs at a night club?

I think night club has licenses. But I think these licenses allow them to play music from a radio/speaker, I don't think these licenses allow singers to rent their night club and sing songs as in a concert? And if I do need a license can I get one from ASCAP.com or would they not allow a license to do this and I would need written permission from song owners to sing their songs?

I live in united states.
nikkii305mia is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 7355 times