Hacking another person's Facebook account -- Is it illegal?

This is a discussion on Hacking another person's Facebook account -- Is it illegal? within the Internet Law forum, part of the INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY & INTERNET LAW category; Hack into another person's Facebook account, is it illegal? And if yes what is the punishment in the United States, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Unregistered

EEK! Hacking another person's Facebook account -- Is it illegal?

Hack into another person's Facebook account, is it illegal?

And if yes what is the punishment in the United States, specifically in the state of New York?
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 12:59 AM   #2
msg
Top Level Member
msg's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Hacking another person's Facebook account -- Is it illegal?

Of course it is illegal.

It can be a misdemeanor or a felony.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #3
TrevorY's Flag is: United States

Yes, it is. And you can be charged if you do it so. This kind of act is included in the so-called "Facebook Felony" regulation, which was discussed in Congress before Sept. 14th. The felony provision has been changed out of the bill. However, Congress is still thinking about a cyber-security bill. Source of article: Facebook Felony bill amended; lying online not felonious.
TrevorY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Unregistered

My mother n law hacked into my husbands fb. Can she vet in trouble for it? BC we have proof of her sayin she did

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #5
Top Level Member

Yes, it is of course illegal. Having your email hacked is a very dangerous situation. The Facebook TOS makes it clear that unauthorized access of accounts which belong to someone else is a violation of their terms of services and will result in suspension from Facebook. So contact Facebook authorities as soon as you discover your account has been hacked. They will start their own investigation. If caught, the hacker can lose his email account and, if he does perpetuate a financial crime, defames anyone or commits any wrong as a result of the hack, can be arrested and prosecuted. If your email is hacked, but nothing else is done, you should most likely change your password or get a new email account. Moreover, if the hacker knows your email password, you probably are using that same password for many other accounts too. You need to go and change your passwords on all of those other accounts as well. If necessary, make an official complaint with the Police also.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Aprillilac's Flag is: United States

Someone hacked into my partner's email and found our intimate emails. How do I protect myself from not having these private information exposed ? My partner was in a coma and is still in the hospital .
Aprillilac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Trollologist

I would try to find out her E-Mail and change her pass, when she gets back, give her the pass, but do not spy on her e-mail. Seriously.

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollologist View Post
I would try to find out her E-Mail and change her pass, when she gets back, give her the pass, but do not spy on her e-mail. Seriously.
I'm sure the issue has been resolved by now. This is one of those situations where you should not do things and make decisions you are ashamed of.

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 15th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #9
JCarma's Flag is: United States

I had the City Attorney press charges against my neighbor and today the case was dismissed from Facebook statues I wrote. They were printed out and given by their lawyer. I had all my privacy settings set at the highest even disabling the ability to search me. They had to hack onto my account. What can I do?
JCarma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 15th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #10
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarma View Post
I had the City Attorney press charges against my neighbor and today the case was dismissed from Facebook statues I wrote. They were printed out and given by their lawyer. I had all my privacy settings set at the highest even disabling the ability to search me. They had to hack onto my account. What can I do?
While you may not be able to pursue criminal charges, you might sue them in a civil suit. The burden of proof is far lower than in a criminal case.

Do you have any actual damages from the hack, other than the invasion of privacy?
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 25286 times