Facebook Defamation (secret facebook group)

This is a discussion on Facebook Defamation (secret facebook group) within the Internet Law forum, part of the INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY & INTERNET LAW category; Basically, two former friends of mine have created this "secret" facebook.com group. A "secret" facebook group is a group designed ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Facebook Defamation (secret facebook group)

Basically, two former friends of mine have created this "secret" facebook.com group. A "secret" facebook group is a group designed that nobody can search, see or know of its existence unless you are in the group--and you can only join if you are invited. They created this group in an attempt to ruin my reputation. It is basically just a hate group where they just write lies of everything negative about me. It soon escalated to where everyone at my current university is part of the group. People just make posts writing lies and whatnot of anything they can think of about me. It has completely ruined my reputation on campus, as well as my former job. The difficult part is the "secret" nature of this whole thing. There is no way I can gain access the group. So do I have a case?- because I technically cannot prove that it exist unless I get access to the group, and I can only get access if someone invites me. Is there anything a lawyer could do to subpoena the people I know is behind this so I someone could put a stop to this?

there was a case very similar to this in the new york supreme court this year. it seems she is suing facebook as well, which also seems to be pretty useless because they are pretty protected. i don't wish to sue anyone really. i just want this to stop, and if I have to sue, I will (if I have a case). would a scary letter of some type (cease and desist?) from a lawyer work? thanks for any help guys and yes I am progress of talking to a lawyer now. which type should I go for?--a internet law one or a libel/slander/defamation type one?
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Facebook Defamation ("secret" facebook group)

I wish to state that you have been defamed by some persons. In this there is defamation but you will have to prove this fact against the persons committing the act. You can obtain the information published against you from Facebook. In the Privacy Policy of Facebook it is stated that they may provide information to subpoenas, court orders and other requests where they believe that the information is required by law. You can send a legal letter to Facebook regarding this issue and the fact that they should block this information as it is causing harm to your reputation. This will enable you to protect yourself as Facebook may agree to your demand if it finds truth in it.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
I wish to state that you have been defamed by some persons. In this there is defamation but you will have to prove this fact against the persons committing the act. You can obtain the information published against you from Facebook. In the Privacy Policy of Facebook it is stated that they may provide information to subpoenas, court orders and other requests where they believe that the information is required by law. You can send a legal letter to Facebook regarding this issue and the fact that they should block this information as it is causing harm to your reputation. This will enable you to protect yourself as Facebook may agree to your demand if it finds truth in it.

AFF
Thanks a million.

To get this subpoena, though, I would need proof of the groups existence right? Now there is no way for me to get an invite, but would a witness suffice? I am assuming that just my word is not enough to obtain a subpoena in this case...

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Unregistered

Yes thx--same issue here!

Old May 19th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Unregistered

Default Re: Facebook Defamation (secret facebook group)

Reading your submission gave me such anxiety. The same thing has been happening to me for the past two years. It's absolutely horrible. Where my story differs is that this "hate group" if that's what you want to call them, was started by my ex boyfriend. Please email me so we can talk privately. I hope you have been able to put an end to your misery and maybe have some insight for mine....pfg84@live.com

Old May 19th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

I have it on the best authority, these secret groups are started by aliens and moderated by our gov't.

Last edited by Disagreeable; May 20th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Disagreeable is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

We had these long before there was Facebook or even the Internet. It was called 5TH GRADE!!
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 26th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Reading your submission gave me such anxiety. The same thing has been happening to me for the past two years. It's absolutely horrible. Where my story differs is that this "hate group" if that's what you want to call them, was started by my ex boyfriend. Please email me so we can talk privately. I hope you have been able to put an end to your misery and maybe have some insight for mine....pfg84@live.com
I have this same situation. My history, life truth, everything has been changed to something awful by a group secretly. I can't find the evidence that I need to take legal action. Please let me know if you have been able to resolve your situation.

Old Jun 26th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #9
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

You cannot stop people who live vicariously through Facebook. What you can do is refuse to play their game. Find another sandbox.

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 7th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Unregistered

It is a vicious cycle and almost impossible to stop. I have had trouble on FB from a group in the same business as I am and I have everyone concerned banned, but then of course I have restricted my ability to get screen shots and url's for some of the posts.

I have just in the last month had two people say they received a Facebook message saying they were going to be deleted off of their friend's list because of their association with me. This person did not use my full name, only my initials, but that is kind of a nickname for me so everyone knows who he is referring to when he uses them. I feel bad for these people getting the emails about the unfriending because they know nothing about any of this. Their only association with me is that they took a class with me and posted how great it was. One of these other people is also a teacher, but in another state.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
${100451+99244}

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 5255 times