US Citizen in Lagos Nigeria held in prison

This is a discussion on US Citizen in Lagos Nigeria held in prison within the International Law Issues forum, part of the INTERNATIONAL LAW category; I have been talking to this person for 6 months now on the phone. He is a mechanical engineer and ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 08:03 AM   #1
Unregistered

Question US Citizen in Lagos Nigeria held in prison

I have been talking to this person for 6 months now on the phone. He is a mechanical engineer and works on an oil rig in Scotland, he left on July 5th to pick up his daughter who is a citizen of Enugu,Nigeria to come to the U.S for vacationing. On August 10th, he was involved in a fight with a man who was trying to harrass his 13 year old daughter. He was arrested and now the mans family is suing him for damages, the judge gave him 1 month to pay this judgement, he hired an attorney but honestly I do not understand what this attorney is saying. Why was he not given bail???? His bank accounts reside in Scotland and he's the only signer on the accounts, how is he able to get this money if he is in jail in Lagos, Nigeria. please reply as soon as possible.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: US Citizen in Lagos Nigeria held in prison

That is a scam. There is no record of such event in Nigeria and Nigeria judicial system does not work that way. The whole story is orchestrated with the intention to obtain money from you under false pretense. Be warned!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Unregistered

Angry Re: US Citizen in Lagos Nigeria held in prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have been talking to this person for 6 months now on the phone. He is a mechanical engineer and works on an oil rig in Scotland, he left on July 5th to pick up his daughter who is a citizen of Enugu,Nigeria to come to the U.S for vacationing. On August 10th, he was involved in a fight with a man who was trying to harrass his 13 year old daughter. He was arrested and now the mans family is suing him for damages, the judge gave him 1 month to pay this judgement, he hired an attorney but honestly I do not understand what this attorney is saying. Why was he not given bail???? His bank accounts reside in Scotland and he's the only signer on the accounts, how is he able to get this money if he is in jail in Lagos, Nigeria. please reply as soon as possible.

Thank You
Big time scam - there is no Scott in jail. Cut your losses and run if you haven't invested anything yet or else you will be crying in the end. Don't be a scam victim.

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Unregistered

Go to yahoo groups romancescams.com to get information on current scams others stories and pictures of known scammers.Share your story so others will not fall victim to his scam as well!!!!

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #5
Unregistered

Well it might end up like this...

Nigerian student gets 19 years jail for internet scam - Mail & Guardian Online: The smart news source

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6
sylviaq65

Unhappy Martins Slater and son Mickey Slater (4yrold)

I have been contacted by a friend from Cleveland , Ohio / He traveled to Lago Nigeria for business. He was kept at customs for having a device with no Manufacturer date. He was fined $5000.- . usd
I was contacted by Mr. Slater. and then a Mark Kenny (security guard)
He lacks i believe 1000. for bail , which was granted by Jeffery J Hawkins..
Mr. Slater has no relatives in United States and His only relative he has is his Sister in France , she is not answering his Emails .. Please e mail or confirm for Me that he is in fact in the Lagos or Abuja Prison
I have no way of confirming this .. I would like to help
I have written e mails to Jeffrey J Hawkins however , no reply
Mickey his 4 yr old son was not in good health the last time I got e mail from Mark Kenny
Please consider this an emergency and contact me asap ..

Sincerely GodBless

Mary Sylvia Quintanilla
sylviaq65@yahoo.com
830-534-0081

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Unregistered

I have been talking to a woman who is incarcerated there because she was unable to pay the hospital bill when her daughter was treated for malaria. She doesn't have family to help her, How much does she owe to get out and get her passport returned to her

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have been talking to a woman who is incarcerated there because she was unable to pay the hospital bill when her daughter was treated for malaria. She doesn't have family to help her, How much does she owe to get out and get her passport returned to her
Did you happen to read about the fact that this is a SCAM???
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 26th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #9
PhylMorey

why does everyone always think this is a scam. Not all horror stories that happen in Lagos, Nigeria are scams. Wish ppl would dig deeper and stop posting everything as a scam. Do u think that the Nigerian government is actually going to tell u if they have one of our ppl from the US there? I doubt it. There are also a lot of scams going on in the US. Its to the point that its hard to believe anyone. I seriously think that before anyone can claim something is a scam cause it might not sound just right, do some serious investigating.

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Because any legitimate legal issue should be brought to the attention of the US Embassy Nigeria, who would advocate on behalf of a US citizen incarcerated there.

Home | United States Diplomatic Mission to Nigeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhylMorey View Post
why does everyone always think this is a scam. Not all horror stories that happen in Lagos, Nigeria are scams. Wish ppl would dig deeper and stop posting everything as a scam. Do u think that the Nigerian government is actually going to tell u if they have one of our ppl from the US there? I doubt it. There are also a lot of scams going on in the US. Its to the point that its hard to believe anyone. I seriously think that before anyone can claim something is a scam cause it might not sound just right, do some serious investigating.

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 4516 times