How to work in the US with a two year - rule

This is a discussion on How to work in the US with a two year - rule within the Other Immigration Law & Visas forum, part of the IMMIGRATION LAW category; Hello, I am Laura, resident of Spain. I came to the US in August 2010 to participate in a university ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #1
LauraOSU's Flag is: Spain

Default How to work in the US with a two year - rule

Hello,

I am Laura, resident of Spain. I came to the US in August 2010 to participate in a university exchange program, with a J1 visa, until May 2011.

When I got my visa, I had printed on it the two year rule or foreign resident requirement, so I guess until may 201233 I can not get another visa for the US.

My fiance is there in the US and I would like to go to the US this year to get married and stay there. As I have the two year rule, I asked to the Spanish Embassy in the US for a No Objection Letter in order to get the two year rule waiver. The told me that the only 3 situations being eligible for a No Objection Letter are:

1. Having a job offer from a US employer FOR MORE THAN A YEAR
2. Having an admission letter from a university
3. Being married to a US citizen

Considering this options, I thought to go to the US, get married, and in the worst situation, come back to Spain and take care of all the process from here, but I donīt know if this is possible and is being difficult to get solutions.

Could anybody please help me? Any information will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance, best wishes

Laura
LauraOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: How to work in the US with a two year - rule

I wish to inform you that if you proceed to the US on a non immigrant visa, get married and then apply for a change of status then the immigration officer may say that the intention behind your move on non immigrant visa was to get married and permanently stay in the US. The immigration officer may or may not grant the change of status. In the circumstances, it may be better to get married, get a no objection letter thereafter and proceed to US on an immigrant visa.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 902 times