WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > IMMIGRATION LAW > Other Immigration Law & Visas > How to get my husband back to USA; We did a voluntary departure to Mexico

How to get my husband back to USA; We did a voluntary departure to Mexico

This is a discussion on How to get my husband back to USA; We did a voluntary departure to Mexico within the Other Immigration Law & Visas forum, part of the IMMIGRATION LAW category; My husband was not legal when we got married in 1998 in Pa. and in 2000 he got detained. We ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #1
lcm
lcm's Flag is: United States

Unhappy How to get my husband back to USA; We did a voluntary departure to Mexico

My husband was not legal when we got married in 1998 in Pa. and in 2000 he got detained. We did a voluntary departure and we went to Mexico. How can I get him back and do I need to establish residency. I need to get back to my family.
lcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: How to get my husband back to USA; We did a voluntary departure to Mexico

I wish to inform you that as your husband and you voluntarily departed from USA for Mexico in 2000, a period of 11 years has elapsed. As your husband was in the USA till 2000, therefore, the period of 10 years bar to re-entry is already over. You may apply for a green card for your husband through consular processing. In this case, after your husband's immigration petition has been processed by USCIS and the US embassy in Mexico then if successful he will be granted a visa. He may then poceed to USA and obtain green card. During the immigration interview, he may show extreme hardship caused to you as you had to proceed to Mexico with him at the time of voluntary departure. If you are not in a position to provide the Affidavit of Support, an additional Affidavit of Support in his favor may be filed by a friend or relative.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Arguendo's Flag is: United States

Default Re: How to get my husband back to USA; We did a voluntary departure to Mexico

I am happy to say that I agree with the above poster. The threshold number here is 10 years. It is a penalty, but it is not forever, in terms of having to "sit things out". So, go for it. If you need an immigration attorney, why not just ask WORLD Law Direct for a referral. They have lawyers all over the place. I sure hope it all goes smoothly for both of you good folks.
Arguendo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4
lcm
lcm's Flag is: United States

Smile Re: How to get my husband back to USA; We did a voluntary departure to Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm View Post
My husband was not legal when we got married in 1998 in Pa. and in 2000 he got detained. We did a voluntary departure and we went to Mexico. How can I get him back and do I need to establish residency. I need to get back to my family.
Can we do the K Visa?
lcm is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1896 times