Extension on F41 Immigrant Visa (expires in summer 2010)

This is a discussion on Extension on F41 Immigrant Visa (expires in summer 2010) within the Other Immigration Law & Visas forum, part of the IMMIGRATION LAW category; After a 9 year wait, I received an F41 Immigrant Visa for the United States (via my brother). It expires ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused Extension on F41 Immigrant Visa (expires in summer 2010)

After a 9 year wait, I received an F41 Immigrant Visa for the United States (via my brother). It expires in summer 2010, so I understand I have to immigrate to the USA before then. If I don\'t use the Visa in time and it expires, can I have it reissued and how long would that take? Is there any way to get an extension on this F41Visa?

Can I immigrate to the United States and still be employed in Canada? (I have been unable to find work in the US, but have job opportunities in Canada - ie I would like to live in USA and work in Canada - is this even possible?).

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Extension on F41 Immigrant Visa (expires in summer 2010)

You are fortunate to have a visa issued to you after so long a wait. You must enter the U.S. on the visa within six months of issuance. If it is not used within six months, a consular officer may issue a replacement if the immigrant is unable to use the visa during the period of its validity for reasons beyond his or her control AND several other requirements are met. See 22 C.F.R. 42.74.

In order to immigrate to the U.S., you must make the U.S. your permanent home. This includes being employed here. If you are employed in Canada, but not in the U.S., it could lead to revocation of your status as an immigrant here.

Regards,
Donald C. Slowik
Slowik & Robinson, LLC
dslowik@s-r-law.com

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
airline pilot, work in canada

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 3873 times