WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW > Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination > Can your termination reason be discussed with co workers after being fired?

Can your termination reason be discussed with co workers after being fired?

This is a discussion on Can your termination reason be discussed with co workers after being fired? within the Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination forum, part of the LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW category; State i live in New York Ok I was fired from my job at a large insurance company. I lied ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #1
upstnyer

Default Can your termination reason be discussed with co workers after being fired?

State i live in New York

Ok I was fired from my job at a large insurance company. I lied about my college education (that I didn\'t need to list in 1st place) and was terminated. I except and understand and harbor no hard feelings but... The next day I am getting calls from my co workers telling me a trainer, not even someone who was involved in termination went to break with someone on my team and told them the exact reason I was fired. I thought I was protected against this. This is a breach of my privacy and very hurtful. Do I have legal ramifications???
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Can your termination reason be discussed with co workers after being fired?

The lie is reason to do just about whatever they want.

We would suggest you move on...and of course don't do that again...

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Can your termination reason be discussed with co workers after being fired?

This is not entirely true. Employers have a right to keep private employee files, even ones rightfully terminated. If this information was found out from a background check this could very well be reason for civil action, as these are personal and confidential files. I suggest you contact a employment attorney in your local area.

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Top Level Member
annjd's Flag is: United States

I would suggest that too. But if they say you were fired for a false resume I am not sure that is actionable--if true.
annjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Unregistered

Default Terminate

I am a new employee and I did not receive proper training for my job and I am not doing well. I am in my probationary period. I over heard my manager talking with human resources about my resume. When I applied for the position, I was in graduate school and I was interviewed and got the position in 2006 and started in June 2007. On my resume, I had put "anticipated graduation date of May 2007." My father became ill and I was helping him out and I did not finish my masters. I never claimed I had a graduate degree and the position does not require a graduate degree, I clearly indicated in my application I don't have graduate degree and only my credits. If they terminate me over this, will I have a legitamite case to sue them.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Unregistered

They can terminate you for basically any reason unless you have a contract.

Just as you can quit for any reason.

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Unregistered

I was recently terminated for lying about how long I was employed at my previous job for, They found out because one of the partners isfriends with my old boss. My old Boss is angry, and I understand. I am going to pick up my cheque tomorrow from him, (because he refused to mail it as he wanted to talk to me) but I can't see what he wants to talk about, Ive said sorry and ive been fired from my new job. Im wondering if my old employer, whom I lied about how long I worked for would sue me, or would be able to?

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 4992 times