90 day probationary period?

This is a discussion on 90 day probationary period? within the Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination forum, part of the LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW category; I was wondering what the 90 day probationary period is for in FL. Everyone usually tells me it means that ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Unregistered

Unhappy 90 day probationary period?

I was wondering what the 90 day probationary period is for in FL. Everyone usually tells me it means that the employer can fire the new employee for ANY reason or even NO reason... that didn't make much sense to me so i looked it up on google and saw that it says its just so the employer doesn't have to pay unemployment if they fire in the first 90 days. what one of these are right? or are both right? the answer is important because i was fired for no reason and about 1 or 2 days before my probationary period was over. they gave a reason that was a blatant lie that would be proved wrong with loggs i have written for them *though they refused to give me a copy after i was fired* , other employees who have seen my hard work, even if they just looked on the camera... they actually refused to check any of those things and told me "i dont have to, we know you're slacking off." also they haven't payed me yet lol. i usually see people getting payed when their fired :O is it different in Florida? *i actually moved here from CA right after applying and got the job only a few days after i got here.*

there is also a whole other part that i would rather not write until i know if there is a point to asking ^_~
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Default Re: 90 day probationary period?

Whos right or not wont matter. File for UI if denied appeal. You have nothing to lose
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover View Post
Whos right or not wont matter. File for UI if denied appeal. You have nothing to lose
What is UI? oh and i just thought of another question. I've only worked for about 3 or 4 months in the last year because i was on a vacation kinda thing (long story) so i cant even get unemployment can i? *sighs and tries to figure out how hes gunna pay his rent...*

Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Top Level Member

UI = unemployment. It cost nothing to file or appeal so go for it

Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
UI = unemployment. It cost nothing to file or appeal so go for it
ah cool ^_^. i was asking about the law because i could prolly get them for wrongful termination since i have so much proof that i WAS working hard. even most of the employees that i work with agree that i work the hardest. im the only person in my department doing what takes 3 people in ever other department. obviously im having trouble finishing everything but thats because im not 3 people ^_~

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Top Level Member

"Wrongful termination" is a firing that violates law, cba or, employment contract. Where does your firing fit in?

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
"Wrongful termination" is a firing that violates law, cba or, employment contract. Where does your firing fit in?
i have no idea haha. I'm not a lawyer or anything. i just thought it might be illigal for them to fire me just because they dont like me. not to mention they didnt follow the rules that they apply to everyone else when firing someone. usually they say that you need to be "verbally warned" then "verbally coached" then you get your "d-day" *they tell you if you mess up again your fired*. they just skipped the verbal warning and coached me. so they coached me for my attendance *wrongfully by the way, when i talked to the store manager he told me that they didnt have a real reason to coach me* then the very next day fired me for "not working hard enough". its very obvious that my department manager has a grudge against me but is she allowed to do those things? oh and i should add that they told me that its a "right to work state" so they can fire me for any or even no reason..

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Top Level Member

Its "at will" not "right ot work" You are correct they need no reason to fire you.

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Its "at will" not "right ot work" You are correct they need no reason to fire you.
at will? no they never said anything about that. they only threatened me with right to work.. if walmart is an "at will" employer i was never told while i was hired. i guess that wouldn't matter... naturally they wouldn't tell me... *sigh* isnt the way they fired me against those "at will" rules though? i thought they had to not follow their own termination procedures? since they didnt give me a verbal warning or even my d-day isnt that against their termination procedure?

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Top Level Member

Rules!? "At will" allows both employer or employee to end relationship at anytime without warnng or cause. The exception is when the termination violates a law, cba or employment contract!

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 7904 times