wrongful termination from atria senior living group

This is a discussion on wrongful termination from atria senior living group within the Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination forum, part of the LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW category; Hello I was fired today stating after my Development actin plan I did not abide by the Executive Directors standards, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
pmh

Default wrongful termination from atria senior living group

Hello I was fired today stating after my Development actin plan I did not abide by the Executive Directors standards, after all we jumped in the past 9 months of my employement to the leading company on the west coast. I did an amazing job with the budget, have on record of a high quality of cleanliness a 93 on our corporate exam, and recently they started writing me up when I started to inform them upon a transer.
I also beleive they had to make certain jobs available to a recent employee as a senior executive and my position was the one that would be able to cover his costs.

His company has a history of improper firings, I have records of the great job I was doing and also just recently of the excellent work in the kitchen via email from the executive director just last week stating my work was excellent.

It is company policy for them to inform you in advance of any regional comming unto the premises and after my write up three weeks ago I found the regional at the job site without my knowledge performing a review. This happened extensively over my past 9 months there and I believe I was pointed out to make room for this employee to justify costs, I have many other issues regarding this company, not allowing me my budgeted hours to ensure resident satisfaction, improper work procedures from regional directors and I way to provide certain write ups to cover there own. I recently wrote up many employees in order to gain a foothold but went in today and was informed by my sous chef he had to come in early to help out, which was completely unprofessional to talk to him in regards to my situation until after the fact.

Seeing I had the write ups I was just trying my hardest to make sure I provided there standards, it looks like I was wrongfully forced out and wonder what I should do now besides going to the unemployment office (which I don't want to do, I love working and the restaurant business.)

thanks for any inquiries.
pmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: wrongful termination from atria senior living group

Not sure anything illegal happened here. They can fire you --and you can quit.

But you could ask the higher managers to to review what happened and also if they terminated you and did not follow any employee handbook or other rules that you all have, that may be reason to contest it as well.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Unregistered

FORWARD TO EMPLOYEE GRIEVANCE DEPARTMENT

Employee Grievance Complaint against: Jennifer Turgeon
Executive Director
Atria Hacienda Senior Living
44600 Monterey Avenue
Palm Desert CA 92260-3323
(760) 341-0890

To Whom It May Concern:
We have tried calling the grievance hotline before, but when the Executive Director found out, she took actions against us for doing so. We are lodging another complaint against the Executive Director, Jennifer Turgeon at Atria Hacienda in Palm Desert, California.

Each year Atria has a Christmas Dinner/Party for the employees here. The kitchen prepares some food and snacks and it has always been an enjoyable experience for most of us. this year the Executive Director is making the Christmas Party "Pot Luck," which means each employee is required to bring some food. Apparently she is doing this to save money, even though the kitchen manager has said that the staff is certainly willing to prepare for the Party as they have in the past. Most of us do not have the extra money to bring food to an employee Christmas Party. Asking us to bring food is insulting and absolutely ridiculous; therefore many of us will not be able to attend the Party.

When we brought this up to Mrs. Turgeon her reply was "well, I guess you will not be able to attend the Christmas Party." She said these words to several people on several occasions, so when she tries to cover up to the Corporate Office, as she always does about what she says and does - IT IS JUST ONE BIG GIANT LIE.
This lady is evil, rude, mean, abusive and she is a RACIST with a capital "R." She discriminates against Mexicans, especially Latino women, and her sole purpose seems to be to seek revenge against anyone that voices an adverse opinion.

Where on earth did Atria find this person?

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #4
Unregistered

Sue her!!!

Old May 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #5
outlaw atria

Cool Re: I think they are working to do this to me but i involved my attorney

As soon as things started getting out of had I started documenting each and every occurance at work because it does seem like many employees are abused at atria senoir living. At my specific branch there was someone emplyed for 9 years and they fired her because they said she had a bad attitude! this is the card they pull whenever you disagree with nything or speak up for yourself. Or if your supervisor says something offensive. If you tell her I did nt appreciate that and my feelings were huurt by your statement. Thay say " Oh, your bieng rude. you should not address your supervisor that way. I dont appreciate you speaking to me this way. What???? You the one bieng rude. And believe it or not folks. HR is not to help you. They are in bed with our supervisors and Executive Directors. They are looking out for the company's well bieng. And covering thier own butts. I have called HR on numerous occassions and have been bieng harrassed by my immediate supervisor for 5 months now. I have like i siad before proof of harrassment and documented everything. On one occassion I was told i was on camera sleeping in life guidance our locked unit. This was a lie. Not only did I work on community side of the facility, but at the same exact time they are saying I was sleeing I manually handled a resident call on our elcombe system. In addition to that My supervisor stated on my corrective action form that rounds in our locked area were not performed by me and that by not doing this I put every resident in jeapordy. This is so rediculous because I was not required to make round in that area because I was working in another area. It does not make sense. Then when I tried to show proof of my defense they disreguarded everything I presented and also refuse to show me the video. Also, the supervisor who made the accusation did not show up to the meeting. I was left to meet with our E.D. and our payroll manager wh stated she had not even viewed the video yet. Then after everything I requested that this form nt be put i my file because it was false and not valid. I had proof that it was not and the burden of proof then lied in thier hands. They just flat out told me we dont have to show it to you because you arent bieng terminaed. I said well I was not required to do rounds n life guidance so can you remove that fromthis form, I did not violate this procedure. My E.D. said it will stay there and I can put anything on this form.even if you did not violate policy, I'm not firing yu so it does not matter. What is up with this. There at least four or five other occurances like this one that I have documetation on and defensive information but they continue to abuse me.
Well hope my story helps someone. atria is a dead end. you cannot get help.

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Unregistered

Angry Re: wrongful termination from atria senior living group

sounds like my community. they don't know how to run a company. terrible.

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Unregistered

i worked for them for three years as a director,,,i know first hand that they treat all their employees like crap,second class citizens,,,the company as a whole are money mongers,they pray on the elderly,,and their family's,i had to quit a 40,000,dollar a year job in florida,because of the discust i had for the company,and their executive and assistant e.d.,,when i quit,,the e.d. told me," i needed to learn how to play the game",,,its not a game,,its the last place the elderly will live,they should be treated alot better,,but im positive that is,,NOT THEIR POLICY..STAY AWAY FROM ATRIA...

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Unregistered

I love the company and have been here for years. They've treated us with the utmost dignity and respect. The ED is very proactive and listens. Be greatful you had a job vs complain. See the good not the bad. Because of your pride you ended up leaving a job and I wonder if you have jobs now? Karma, folks.

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #9
User23's Flag is: United States

I have always loved working at the Atria
User23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 13th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Unregistered

Confused Re: wrongful termination from atria senior living group

I worked for Atria in Palm Desert for 3yrs. I did house keeping and my supervisor was so horrible to me. I never called off and when my brother was killed I called off for 1day and written up when returned. also people called me at home to ask me what happen. My supervisor told employees at work.She never kept my problems confidentional. She harrassed me all the time. All I did was cry at atria. I dont understand how this company gets away with treating people like animals. Its not fair to have one person at night for the hole building..CRAZY!
I was so over worked. every day she added things for me to do. and I was never good enough for her or Atria.
I did complain to RSD but they are best friends, nothing ever changed until I just quit.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 7382 times