Itemized hospital bill

This is a discussion on Itemized hospital bill within the Other Healthcare Law Issues forum, part of the HEALTHCARE LAW & MALPRACTICE category; I visited the ER in June because I sliced off a chunk of my finger on a kitchen madolin and ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
lhartungdogs's Flag is: United States

Confused Itemized hospital bill

I visited the ER in June because I sliced off a chunk of my finger on a kitchen madolin and we couldn't get the bleeding to stop. I was in treatment less than 15 minutes. The nurse directed me to clean my own would while she got antibiotic ointment and bandages which she then applied. I received a tetanus shot. Got two bills from hospital on same day. One for $842 and one for $1032. Called and they said throw out the $842 bill, it was wrong. I requested an itemized statement and they provided a breakdown showing the exorbitant cost of the tetanus shot, administration of the shot and all else lumped under Level II procedure. They refuse to break it down further. Also got bill from ER physician who I never saw citing surgical repair. There was nothing to repair and they agreed to remove that charge. Still never saw a physician, only a nurse. I have written several letters to hospital and my husband visited them in person to request itemized statement. They say the cannot break down the bill any further. How can I get an itemized statement?

I know I will have to pay something, but I think this is excessive for 15 minutes in one room and doing most of the work myself.
lhartungdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Maryellen's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Itemized hospital bill

Even if you only saw a nurse a doctor had to sign off on the chart so that is how they get you. I don't think you're going to get out of this, sorry.
Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Top Level Member

In this regard you can sent a certified mail to give a detailed medical bill. If they did not respond to the certified mail nor provides you a detailed bill that means they have charged exorbitant amounts to you. In the meantime you could collect details through other source regarding the exact figures for similar treatment in other hospitals. If you found that there is no much difference then leave the matter otherwise you have option to sue the hospital for charging exorbitant amounts without providing the service of a doctor.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
serenahowards's Flag is: United States

Don't pay them unless they give you a detailed itemized bill.
serenahowards is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #5
cmfriedland

I live outside the United States. While attending a summer program in the U.S. in July, my son injured his finger and was taken to the ER. They did an x-ray, found a hairline fracture in one finger, taped two fingers together and sent him home.
We just heard from the summer program office, which e-mailed me a copy of a bill they received for $1100. It was not itemized, simply said "ER charge" and "treatment." I contacted my health insurer, and they will provide coverage but only if I can present an ORIGINAL, ITEMIZED bill, in other words the one that was e-mailed to me is not sufficient.
I phoned the hospital billing department. They said they are unable to send bills outside the United States! I told them that I can't pay unless I get a bill ... they simply refused to send one.
Any advice on what to do? If I send them a certified letter demanding the bill and they fail to provide it, would this protect me in case they report me to the credit agencies or try to take legal action?
Thanks for any advice

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2687 times