WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > IMMIGRATION LAW > H-1B Worker Visas > Change of Status: I am on H1B Visa and getting married to an American Citizen

Change of Status: I am on H1B Visa and getting married to an American Citizen

This is a discussion on Change of Status: I am on H1B Visa and getting married to an American Citizen within the H-1B Worker Visas forum, part of the IMMIGRATION LAW category; Could you please advise how the change of status would work if I am currently on H1B Visa and am ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #1

Default Change of Status: I am on H1B Visa and getting married to an American Citizen

Could you please advise how the change of status would work if I am currently on H1B Visa and am getting married to an American Citizen?

My company applied for my PERM Application and it has been certified by the Department of Labor. My company cannot file my I-485 Adjustment of Status application as per my priority date in the Visa Bulletin. I believe they have filed my I-140 which is the only thing they can do at this point.

What do I need to do before or after the marriage for my status?
Should I talk to my company about changing the application after the marriage or will it cause problems at work since they have paid money for all the work up till now?
What can I do on my own? It seems a waste to wait for 4 -5 years for Greencard from the company when I am getting married to a citizen.

Please advise. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
sk2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #2
mdaphoenix

Default Re: Change of Status: I am on H1B Visa and getting married to an American Citizen

I am in a similar situation now, what was your final solution?

Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 4200 times