WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > IMMIGRATION LAW > Other Immigration Law & Visas > Green Card Issues > I'm illegal in the US but I'm married to a US Citizen. How can I get my green card?

I'm illegal in the US but I'm married to a US Citizen. How can I get my green card?

This is a discussion on I'm illegal in the US but I'm married to a US Citizen. How can I get my green card? within the Green Card Issues forum, part of the Other Immigration Law & Visas category; Hello, My parents brought me to the US illegally when I was 7 years old. I'm turning 19 now. I ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #1
bmont's Flag is: United States

Confused

Hello,
My parents brought me to the US illegally when I was 7 years old. I'm turning 19 now. I got married last year to an American citizen and we also have a baby together. I really need to solve my immigration issue for the sake of my baby. I need help. Can someone tell me if it's possible to get my green card and also how to get it. Thanks

Last edited by bmont; Apr 12th, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
bmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: I'm illegal in the US but I'm married to a US Citizen how can I get my green card

I wish to inform you that as you have come to USA illegally therefor it may not be possible for you to become US citizen while being in USA. Further as you are illegal alien there may be a 10 year which may be made on you. However you may show an extreme hardship and can obtain hardship waiver. You may then have a green card and then citizenship.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Top Level Member
annjd's Flag is: United States

Default Re: I'm illegal in the US but I'm married to a US Citizen how can I get my green card

The Obama administration may change the law but as of now it is not normally allowed if you entered illegaly.
annjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #4
michaelmoody84's Flag is: United States

I don't think you can get a green card very easily.Better you can consult your Attorney to move further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmont View Post
Hello,
My parents brought me to the US illegally when I was 7 years old. I'm turning 19 now. I got married last year to an American citizen and we also have a baby together. I really need to solve my immigration issue for the sake of my baby. I need help. Can someone tell me if it's possible to get my green card and also how to get it. Thanks
michaelmoody84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Superkruz's Flag is: Australia

Send a message via Skype™ to Superkruz

Default Re: I'm illegal in the US but I'm married to a US Citizen. How can I get my green car

I am no expert on this but I have seen a number of times, on this forum (and others), that people say you can easily get a Green Card if you are married to a US citizen. If I remember correctly, marrying a Citizen is the easiest way (and maybe the only way) to remedy your illegal status without much drama.
USA
Interview - 09/07/2010
LSD - 02/18/2011
Green Card - 03/03/2011
Superkruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #6
michaelmoody84's Flag is: United States

Default Re: I'm illegal in the US but I'm married to a US Citizen. How can I get my green car

Yes, of course it is the easiest way to get your green card.I don't think you will get very easily, because still you are an illegal immigrant in the US.My Suggestion for the illegal immigrant who wish to marry a US Citizen, is to go back to their own country and ask their fiancee to apply for his/her green card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkruz View Post
I am no expert on this but I have seen a number of times, on this forum (and others), that people say you can easily get a Green Card if you are married to a US citizen. If I remember correctly, marrying a Citizen is the easiest way (and maybe the only way) to remedy your illegal status without much drama.
michaelmoody84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Unregistered

Cool Re: I'm illegal in the US but I'm married to a US Citizen. How can I get my green car

bmont, I am sincerely hoping you find a way to resolve your problem. My husband and I are facing a simialr issue ourselves. He came here to the U.S. when he was 20, just so he could try to support his mother and siblings. Once here, he realized that our streets are not paved with gold. Things are just as hard here as they are over there. I was 19 years-old when we married and we've been married for 2 years now. We live in a small town where the police know us. They know my husband is illegal; they've confiscated his papers twice now, but they leave us alone and we're lucky for that. I've been searching for a way to help him get his papers for three years and it all points to going back. I don't like it, just as I know you're first thought was "No way that's happening!" I don't want to quit my job or leave my family, our home, because our system is too prideful to let him stay while his papers are being processed. I know you do not want to leave you wife, or your child, behind. Personally, things are way too dangerous in Mexico to go back and I would not advise taking them with you. My own husband has fobidden me from ever setting foot inside Mexico until the cartel reign ends. I've seen the things they do over there and I understand why there are so many trying to make it here. And I can only imagine you, with your wife and child, raised here in the U.S., where would you stay? Who would you know over there? And why should you be made to pay for your parents bringing you here when you wee just a child?

Here's to sincerely hoping everything turns out all right! Bueno suerte, amigo, y dios te bendiga!

LoveLucky8690

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #8
jr8386's Flag is: United States

Just wanted to know has Obama changed anything regarding the law on illegal immigrant?
jr8386 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 6th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #9
Janetstromberg's Flag is: United States

After you get married, the U.S. citizen spouse must file with the INS an I-130 Relative Petition for you, together with the I-485 application for permanent residence, with all supporting documents, if you originally entered the United States legally. You can also apply for an employment authorization card and advance parole, which will allow the alien to travel abroad pending the INS interview.
Janetstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janetstromberg View Post
After you get married, the U.S. citizen spouse must file with the INS an I-130 Relative Petition for you, together with the I-485 application for permanent residence, with all supporting documents, if you originally entered the United States legally. You can also apply for an employment authorization card and advance parole, which will allow the alien to travel abroad pending the INS interview.
I was hoping you can also advice me in my case. I entered the US legally but i am unaware of my legal status because my parents neglected me at a young age and held on to all my legal documents. I am now 19 years old and having a very hard time trying to figure out my legal information. The Social security office and immigration have no record of me. Please let me know if there's anything i can do to regain my legal documents.
Thank you.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 38947 times