How to maintain Green card with repeated absence

This is a discussion on How to maintain Green card with repeated absence within the Green Card Issues forum, part of the Other Immigration Law & Visas category; I知 Egyptian guy who work in Saudi Arabia , I got a green card through DV in 2009, traveled to ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default How to maintain Green card with repeated absence

I知 Egyptian guy who work in Saudi Arabia , I got a green card through DV in 2009, traveled to USA from 19th September 2009 till 6th October 2009 then returned to Saudi Arabia where I have work contract , then I traveled for the second time to USA from 12 July 2010 till 3rd August 2010 - in the airport the custom officer asked me how long I値l stay in USA and told me to apply for reentry permit to be in the safe side if I will leave USA again but there was no enough time to apply for it. Now I知 in Saudi to finish my work contract ( till 5thJuly 2011).
Here is my question:
What I should do to maintain my green card and not jeopardize my status and at the same time finish my work contract till July 2011?
(If I returned to USA once every 6 months during the next 10 months ,will be there any problem in the airport?)
Who take the decision that the GC holder should not be denied admittance to USA , is it the custom officer or the court?

I値l file for my taxes, I have bank account in the USA and I can transfer my monthly salary to that account in USA , I took an equivalency certificate in pharmacy which enable me to search for an internship in a pharmacy to be able to obtain my final pharmacy license.
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: How to maintain Green card with repeated absence

I wish to inform you that a green card holder may enter USA till the time its green card is valid. In this regard you will be required to maintain your permanent residence in USA. If you are having intention to permanently stay in USA then your Green Card will be valid. You may show your intention to stay in USA by paying its taxes and by having a residence in USA. Further if you are coming within 6 months then your green card will not be cancelled.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Unregistered

Hi Egyptian guy, what is the status now? Were you allowed to come back to US without issues? Are you back in Saudi Arabia or in USA? Please share your experience as it will help in my similar situation.

Thanks!

Old May 17th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Hase Linde's Flag is: United States

Hello Egyptian guy, I will tell something strange that happened, 100% true, I once heard a US embassy officer asking someone who studied in the USA long time ago and had a green card for a couple of years but went back to his home country and never visited USA again to apply again for green card claiming he has a big chance of being accepted again with no trouble, clearly this is not your question but they are more flexible than you think.
Hase Linde is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1936 times