Green Card C2 Status Expired - Card surrendered

This is a discussion on Green Card C2 Status Expired - Card surrendered within the Green Card Issues forum, part of the Other Immigration Law & Visas category; I am a Canadian citizen and had obtained legal green card C2 status thru my employment since 2003. I live ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1
JTW

Confused Green Card C2 Status Expired - Card surrendered

I am a Canadian citizen and had obtained legal green card C2 status thru my employment since 2003. I live in Canada and had commuted daily to my US place of employment. Every 6 months I was required by US immigration to obtain a I-178 commuter card verifying my employment status. On Jan 19, 2009 I was perm laid-off. US Immigration stated that my C2 and I-178 would be extented for a max of 1yr and failing to obtain a new employer within that time I would need to surrender my Green Card or move to the US. I was unable to secure any work in the US and chose to continue to live in Canada. On Jan 19,2010 was advise by US Imm that I must surrender my GC thru process of a I-407, which I did. I was advised that should I find work in the future I will need employer sponsorship and reapply for GC but the process would be faster due to my previous GC status.

Was there any other options that may have been available to keep my GC?? If so how can I reversed thre I407?

Thanks JTW
JTW is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share