18 year old seeking to move out, my dad says i can't

This is a discussion on 18 year old seeking to move out, my dad says i can't within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Late April, almost May, I turn 18. I can not stand my family, my parents are insensitive about my needs, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Help Me Please!

Default 18 year old seeking to move out, my dad says i can't

Late April, almost May, I turn 18. I can not stand my family, my parents are insensitive about my needs, my mother is borderline tyrannical, and my father just doesn't really care about my emotional and mental needs... then again, niether of them truely care about my best interests, but rather thiers.

Anywho, I mentioned to my dad that when I turn 18, i want to move in with my "boyfriend" (he's really my fiancee, but I tell them boyfriend because I know if they find out him and I are engaged they'd try to royally screw us up), and my dad said that he, my "boyfriend" would get into legal trouble, and since he lives at home with his parents, they would be listed as accomplises, if I moved in with him.

This would be voluntary, that I, at the age of 18, am willingly moving in with him, therefore I do not believe that there will be any problems legally.

I don't want to live with them anymore, and my fiancee treats me amazingly, not to mention he's destined for good things. I mean, not even anywhere near 21, he had a job with a base salary of 40000 (he since quit due to personal conflicts). This was put to show that he is indeed capable and not some slacker jerk.

But, i need help, and most importantly answers... if I moved in with him, at EIGHTEEN YEARS of age, and out of my house, what legal procedings, if any, could/would occur, since my dad doesn't want me moving out?
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: 18 year old seeking to move out, my dad says i can't

Confirm with your local police dept as well but normally at 18 you can do as you wish--except in a very few jurisdictions.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Help Me Please!

I live in Scarsdale, New York, if that makes anything more specific...

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:17 PM   #4
Unregistered

Cool re: 18 year old seeking to move out, my dad says i can't

How about trying to grow up and realize your parents only want what is best for you. You are not ready to be engaged in fact that is the true reason you hide it. You are 17 and have a lot of growing up to do. But maybe its time you are told what a wonderful person you are. you have a great future ahead of you but the world does not revolve around you and simply knowing your dad does not want you to leave shows his love for you. Come on you are 17 and do not know what is best for you. At 18 you can move out but dont be surprised when you beg to come back home. Just some friendly advice.

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Unregistered

Cool I am only 16...but i have an important question

i am 16 years old, a junior in high school, and i am going to get my license and drive my parent's old car, a 2002 explorer, in 12 days. in a year and i half i will be 18 and graduated. i have a low paying job, but i'm considering getting another one, in addition to my current one, because the current one is only 2 hours after school, so im thinking it would be a possibilty. i plan on going to community college because my grades so far have been an average of a 2.0 and also i was put in an intermediate english class which doesnt qualify for a cal state or university. anyways, i do not like my parents. they are over-sensitive and jumpy about anything and everything. i have barely ever drank or smoked and they havent ever caught me so they have no real reason not to trust me. i really would love to move out when i graduate or turn 18. i want to save all of my money except maybe $20-30 dollars a month for clothes or extra things. i want to move out and go to community college and work a job or two. my main questions are 1) is it legal to move out when you have graduated and are 17 years old? (my birthday is in 9/11/1991) and 2) is it legal to move out without consent when I am 18?

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Unregistered

Default Re: I am only 16...but i have an important question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i am 16 years old, a junior in high school, and i am going to get my license and drive my parent's old car, a 2002 explorer, in 12 days. in a year and i half i will be 18 and graduated. i have a low paying job, but i'm considering getting another one, in addition to my current one, because the current one is only 2 hours after school, so im thinking it would be a possibilty. i plan on going to community college because my grades so far have been an average of a 2.0 and also i was put in an intermediate english class which doesnt qualify for a cal state or university. anyways, i do not like my parents. they are over-sensitive and jumpy about anything and everything. i have barely ever drank or smoked and they havent ever caught me so they have no real reason not to trust me. i really would love to move out when i graduate or turn 18. i want to save all of my money except maybe $20-30 dollars a month for clothes or extra things. i want to move out and go to community college and work a job or two. my main questions are 1) is it legal to move out when you have graduated and are 17 years old? (my birthday is in 9/11/1991) and 2) is it legal to move out without consent when I am 18?

LOL damn you're dumb

Old Mar 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Unregistered

Legal to move out at 16 with parents' consent (look into emancipation--must prove are capable of taking care of self). Always legal at 18 unless can be legally declared incompetent & parents given guardianship--this usu. impossible w/o psychiatric diagnosis. Good luck.

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #8
Unregistered

im almost 18, and i am so held back that i cant even drive, i cant keep a boyfriend or a relationship for that matter from my family. they want me to do things and be there for them, and i cant even be myself because im always compaired to my cousins and my family never even listens to wat i have to say, its all about them, wat about the kid for once?? i try to stand for my self u knw wat happens?? u need to watch how u talk to me, my grandma cant stand straight sometimes, and how can she help my mom out? i need to gain custudy a

my grandma is going into surgery and my mom is constantly in and out of hospitals, the rules are so strict i cant even stand outside without someone calling me to get in the house, and when i get there wat do i do? sit on the couch, doing nothing, did they need me? no they just wanted me. nothing but controling, i need out, i just lost a boyfriend now because of them not allowing us any alone time out side no fresh air, they even tried to control our relationship to suit them. now u tell me is that right? are they trying to protect me? or them?

Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Unregistered

LISTEN PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!It doesnt matter what jusristiction, you live in, its a FEDRAL LAW THAT YOU ARE AN ADULT THE DAY YOU TURN EIGHTEEEN!!!! END OF STORYY!!!!!!!!!

Old May 24th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Unregistered

Well the day you turn 18 you can move out because they no longer have custody over you unless for some medical reason or w/e they still do.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 19677 times