Marriage between Uncle and Niece

This is a discussion on Marriage between Uncle and Niece within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; In Canada it is allowed. U can marry anyone as long as they are not LINEALLY related to U by ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #51
Unregistered

Default re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

In Canada it is allowed. U can marry anyone as long as they are not LINEALLY related to U by blood or affinity. That is Grand parents, parents, brothers or sisters, and ones own children are off limits but everyone else is eligible including your niece.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #52
Unregistered

Hey #51 ~ bizarre how so many people's attitude is live and let live about this, ain't it?

I recently found out that my mother's parents were uncle and niece (fully -- 2 brothers came over the pond from eastern europe around 1900, One of the brothers had a daughter and the other brother married her)

They had 7 kids including one set of fraternal twins. My mother was the weaker of the set of twins.

She was completely disabled by MS by the tine she was 50 and died at 60. She and my father had three kids. The oldest and the youngest (me) are still alive. We have Crohn's disease w/resultant ileostomies. Our brother was diagnosed w/MS by the time he was 20 and died @44.

None of my mother's 6 siblings or their offspring had any outstanding medical conditions.

They llived in NYC and were married in Rhode Island where it was legal for men in the Jewish community
to marry their nieces, as directed in the torah and codified in the Talmud. That latter fact was almost as devastating as the illnesses themselves. It's a very very well kept secret. I've had endless arguments w/other jews and they all ended up apologizing to me for insulting me and calling me anti-semitic when they were finally forced to face the truth. This is an article based on my letter to 'ask a rabbi':

>> Ask the Reform Rabbi - Does Judaism allow an Uncle and Niece to get married?

Now, equity will out, anyone can marry their niece.

Old Feb 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #53
Unregistered

I would agree that people can convince themselves of anything in order to justify and rationalize their conduct and behavior.

In the case of an uncle and a niece, the only way that would even be considered "proper" (I use that term loosely) is if the uncle and niece are not blood related. For instance, the uncle simply married into the already formed family and no blood ties exist. Such as when a person remarries and automatically becomes "uncle". Other than that, any familiar relations put future offspring at risk, as is evident in your family's lineage.

That said, while some states, countries, provinces, may permit it by law, it is still a very touchy subject to broach, and it is supposition that the two consenting adults are armed with the knowledge that they could bring offspring into the world facing a plethora of health/defect issues. It is simply not fair to the child to do that.

Old Feb 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #54
Unregistered

It is supposition that the two consenting adults are armed with the knowledge that they could bring offspring into the world facing a plethora of health/defect issues.

I've tried to give my ne'er-do-well grandparents the benefit of that doubt.

I think one of the factors, at least at the time they married, was that children were not seen in the same way they are today generally. You could do anything you want to your kid.

I've had fantasies of suing the state of RI, that bastion of religious freedom -- which is an oxymoron, imo.

Old Feb 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #55
Unregistered

"You could do anything you want to your kid."

Isn't that sad, scary, and reprehensible?

Old Mar 17th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #56
Unregistered

Hi there just looked it up and yes it is legal to marry your uncle or neice but there is a clause. This means, for example, that a person cannot marry their parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister. However, (depending of course on the gender of the party) a person may marry their aunt or uncle, niece or nephew or ‘first’ cousin. unfortunately i dont no what that actually means but i intend to look it up

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #57
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"You could do anything you want to your kid."

Isn't that sad, scary, and reprehensible?
I think so, but I'm biased, oy.

Thanks to those of you who've responded. It's a done deal and nothing can be done to correct it for me, or anyone else who finds themselves the result of perverse religious idiocy except loosen those lips and sink that sick ship. But thank-you for reflecting and validating my uh, discontent.

I've also been a poster child for borderline personality disorder my entire life. Most of what I've read on the topic says it's genetic, surprise surprise. With help from people who don't find me repulsive (and believe me, as a kid many were completely cowed by my appallingly sick family and after finding out the reason for that horror show, some find my existence even more disturbing. I can't bring it up at all w/some old friends) I may have the stomach to survive a few more years, for better or worse.
The day I first posted was my 55th birthday.

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #58
Unregistered

Smile re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

Kinship terminology
On Dravidian kinship

Like Iroquois people, Dravidians refer to their father's sister as "mother-in-law" and their mother's brother as "father-in-law."

Dravidian communities also practise uncle-niece marriages where the mother's younger brother may marry his niece (his elder sister's daughter).

Indian Law allows Uncle Niece Marriages. It is completely Legal. But to Experience a Happily Everafter you must choose to live in South Indian States and not any where else. You can Marry in India Even if you are blood related.

Old Jul 1st, 2010, 01:34 AM   #59
Unregistered

there are two kinds of uncle, blood uncle and non blood uncle,
the non blood uncle can marry the niece.
as to legality, you have to ask yopurselves who is to know,
if n doubt dont tell.
I suggest India, bangladesh, Nepal, Burma, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Sudan Thailand are all
suitable venues, if ou are in Europe, Uk, Eire, Nedelandse, Belgium, France are
perfectly fine,
Good luck and may Allah bless you

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #60
Unregistered

my understanding is that Rhodes Island allows uncles and nieces as long as they are orthodox Jews or members of other traditional communities that allow such marriages. orthodox Judaism allows such marriages because Leviticus 18 does not include it among forbidden relationships.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 148 replies and has been viewed 73999 times