Marriage between Uncle and Niece

This is a discussion on Marriage between Uncle and Niece within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Since this is a legal forum where the advice should be of a legal standpoint, and not a moral one, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #41
Unregistered

Default re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

Since this is a legal forum where the advice should be of a legal standpoint, and not a moral one, you are unlikely to be able to get married. This has to do with inbreeding and the possibility of having severely unhealthy, deformed children, either mentally or physically, or both. Naturally, it would be extremely selfish and unwise to even wish to create a child together knowing the inbreeding history.

Of course, not taking into consideration the morals behind it, you are free to continue your relationship. You don't need to get married to be together.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #42
Unregistered

it's called incest and you people are truly sick. Get some professional help!

Old Jan 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #43
Unregistered

Wink re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

hi i m 36 shes 24 and yes shes my legal niece her mother is my sis /we havebeen together for 2 and a half yrs before that we havent seen each other in 19 ys we love each other very much our family doesnt agree but they do deal with it we are adults and we told them that we r going to be together no matter what and if they wanted to b part of or lives than thats the way it is we have a great life together and r goingto get married in may 2010 somewere i have found out that florida does not do blood test to ever other uncle and niece out there if u love each other thats all that should matter

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #44
Unregistered

Under the guidelines of the law, love is not all that matters when it comes to marriage. As blood relatives, you will not be able to get married, as children born of such a union would cause deformities and impairment. If you choose to bring children into the mix, that is really being quite selfish and not thinking of the ramifications your unborn child(ren) would be faced with, as it will be they who have to suffer and not you.

If love is all that matters, marriage is not required.

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #45
Unregistered

My heart goes out to the nieces here-your stories are very touching and I can relate. It just makes me think of my own beautiful niece and our situation. We are deeply in love with each other and while I've loved other girls, she and I share a very special bond that's hard to describe and one that I haven't had with anyone else. We'd also like to get married as well, but we don't want our family finding out since they won't be too accepting of us. She doesn't really want to cut off relations with them either, so we are keeping our relationship a secret for now.

For those looking to get married if you country doesn't allow it and you can't move, perhaps one of you can change your name so you can marry legally (as long as no one finds out the truth). And I agree with other people's suggestions-like not telling anyone and just living together (without marriage). Unfortunately our world is still largely close-minded and intolerant of such relationships so discretion is important.

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #46
Unregistered

It's not a matter of the "world being closed minded". It's about the laws, and abiding by them. The law says incest is illegal. If a person's moral compass is to go wherever the wind takes them, accept the consequences.

If a person was raised with no boundaries and has been taught that sex between blood relatives is okay, so be it, but the law does not have to facilitate such impudence.

This holds especially true for adults, and not teens in puppy love crushes with their aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Adults should know better, but sadly, some don't.

I would be worried about bringing children into that kind of relationship. It's is unfair to do to a child, who did not ask to be born to blood related relatives, be most likely born with health defects, and be mocked and ridiculed all his/her life because mommy and daddy are related to each other, thereby making any children born to that union mutants.

Old Jan 30th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #47
Unregistered

to #47...the law is different in each country-some permit marriage between uncle and niece (of legal age) for example, some don't. All laws are made by people who decide what is good and bad, right and wrong and they can be changed. People's views change all the time also and incest has existed throughout human history (think royalty for instance), some cultures accept it, some do not.

While some may find such relationships repugnant, if they're consenting adults and no one is being harmed, then what is the problem? Recall there was a time we had laws against/but we now accept: gays, interracial marriage, transsexuals, people with weird fetishes, young adults marrying older ones, etc. so why discriminate against those who choose this lifestyle?

Having kids of course is a different matter-because it could introduce genetic defects. Those can be screened/avoided with modern medicine. No one is forcing anyone else to engage in incest-but if two people fall in love and they happen to be related why should we stop them from being happy when it doesn't affect us at all? What's the good in throwing them in jail for engaging in a type of relationship we don't approve of? What makes our judgment superior to theirs?

Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #48
Unregistered

Nobody said anything about "throwing them in jail". And yes, if that is what they wish to do, who is anyone to stop them? That is the apathetic mindset that has gotten us where we are today. Overly indulgent in our own selfish desires and wants (but not needs) and without any sense of boundaries whatsoever. One flip through today's T.V. channels, wrought with ridiculous "reality shows" will prove that.

There is a big difference between being in an incestual relationship and actually getting married. When does the "acceptance" and "tolerance" end? When we are no longer a civilized human species, and we're no longer one step away from monkeys?

Please cite the countries in which incestual marriage is permitted. And leave out primal tribes.

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 03:24 AM   #49
Unregistered

That's your argument, that people are 'overly self-indulgent'? That's pretty weak reasoning, certainly nothing to justify outlawing such relationships. As for boundaries, I think its fairly simply, if someone is being harmed by the behavior of another individual that should be the line not to cross-the basic principle underlying our legal system.

Why would you want tolerance and acceptance of others to end? What right do we have to tell others how they must live? Again so long as no harm is being done and they are consenting adults. Whether two related people are romantically involved or want to get married, that should be their decision only. Society will judge them as they like but we shouldn't stop people just because its something we wouldn't do.

The more freedom we have the better, we need to get the state out of our bedrooms. Society is not about to degenerate into barbarism just because some people have incestuous relationships. Many states accept marriages between cousins and Canada might accept marriage between uncle and niece (since the law specifically doesn't say its forbidden), but I can't say that with certainty. Regardless, these anti-incest laws were based on age-old mores and religious lunacy and its time we updated them. Nobody wants the state needlessly meddling in their lives.

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:21 AM   #50
Unregistered

You continue to miss the point. Who is harmed by incestual relationships? The children born into them

Under your logic, we should be even more accepting and tolerating. But where does the line get drawn? Do we accept and tolerate bestiality next? Or how about making pedophilia acceptable and tolerable?

People ARE overly self indulgent these days. Just because we "can" do something, does not mean that we "should". Incest fall under that rule of thumb.

Tolerance and acceptance are choices, that are our own decision to make. Nobody can end it for us. For instance, I am tolerating your drivel. Are you actually suggesting we should all tolerate and accept EVERYTHING in life? The tone and content of your posts leads one to believes perhaps you are guilty of having sex with a blood relative and are trying every debate known to man to justify your behavior and actions. If that's not the case, check your words, because that is how you are coming across.

Incest marriage will produce (this is science here, and not "lunacy" or conjecture) deformed, impaired, unhealthy babies. From their brains to their outward appearance, they are affected. If that sits okay with you, perhaps you need help in understanding why you feel that is okay.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 148 replies and has been viewed 73907 times