Marriage between Uncle and Niece

This is a discussion on Marriage between Uncle and Niece within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I don't think that uncle/ niece thing is very healthy maybe I'm old fashioned Isn't there a reason states make ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #21
Unregistered

Default re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

I don't think that uncle/ niece thing is very healthy

maybe I'm old fashioned

Isn't there a reason states make it illegal?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #22
Unregistered

I think it is all based on genetics and if you can pass on genes that are too close and have problems with having children! I am in love with my paternal half uncle and we are only 5 years apart and in our 50's. We haven't seen each other in 35 years until this summer and I can't understand that we can't find happiness at our age.

There is no chance of having children. I wish we could find a way to get married in our later years, it is more a symbolic thing and a health care issue as to being covered as a spouse that is my concern. He would be covered by my insurance if we were married. Any ideas other than Santo Domingo? He is here from Australia for a visit and I live in the states with a teenage daughter. What about Mexico? We would like something very simple!

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #23

Be happy.
If you feel guilty about it, promise to be miserable in your next life to make up for it.
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #24
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have come to know that it is not illegal in Australia to marry either of your uncle,aunt or nephew,niece.

Getting Married

Can some body pls. comment on it?
I would like to mention following quote from Australian marriage law:

"Marriage to a relative"
The Marriage Act prohibits people marrying:
an ancestor or descendant; or
their brother or sister (whether whole blood or half-blood siblings)
These restrictions also apply to adoptive relationships even if these have been annulled, cancelled, discharged or cease to be effective for any reason (for example, a subsequent adoption order being made).

This means, for example, that a person cannot marry their parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister.

"However, (depending of course on the gender of the party) a person may marry their aunt or uncle, niece or nephew or ‘first’ cousin".

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM   #25
Unregistered

Canada permits marriage between Uncle and Niece. No restrictions.

The following states also allow marriage between Uncle and Niece:

Massachusetts
Maryland
South Carolina
Tennessee
Georgia
Alabama
Texas
Rhode Island

I understand you're a Muslim, and that the Qu'ran forbids such marriages. However, please remember that the original source for forbidden sexual relationships was Leviticus 18. Nowhere in Leviticus 18 does it state that it is forbidden for an Uncle and Niece to marry or have sexual relations (although it does ban Nephews and Aunts), and it does not ban 1st Cousins.

Best wishes to you and your bride.

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM   #26
Unregistered

Correction:

An uncle and niece can marry in every province in Canada except Ontario and Nova Scotia.

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:24 AM   #27
Unregistered

Thumbs Up re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

thanks all. all your answers are very inspiring.... i would much appreciate if some confirm source of your ideas is also mentioned regarding marriage between uncle and niece...........

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM   #28
Unregistered

World Law's lawyers could also probably intervene and help resolve this if need be. You may email them on the home page.

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #29
Unregistered

Smile re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

The best thing to do if you truely love her and want to get married, would be to get married and not tell people she is your niece or half niece, but your wife. No one needs to know your personel business. If you both have different last names before you get married even better. You would be marrying under a guise because you would not be forthcoming in your biological relation to her, but these days even people of the same sex marry. How can anyone hold judgement on two consenting adults at this day an age?
I would strongly advise for you both to check your blood type with hers to make sure you can have children in the future!!! Make sure you do know so in the future you won't risk your new born with any abnormalities that the child may inherit if your genes my be to close!!! You may have to come to the realization that you should avoid having children in the future for this reason, but you may consider adoption!! Love and respect each other, may be get married in vagas as a quicky. Marrige is more than a piece of paper, it is a living contract that needs care for it to stay alive and flourish!!

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM   #30
Unregistered

suppose if people of such reletionship marry each other and are in trouble by the state or religious law, will human rights and civil liberty organizations protect such couples? if yes which ones are threre any where in the world

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 148 replies and has been viewed 73993 times