Marriage between Uncle and Niece

This is a discussion on Marriage between Uncle and Niece within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; yes it is legal in south india and it is a preferential marriage. In Andhrapradesh we can see this type ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #111
Unregistered

Thumbs Up Re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

yes it is legal in south india and it is a preferential marriage. In Andhrapradesh we can see this type of marriage everywhere... Niece is a potential mate for uncle if that age gap is less in this society .........

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #112
Unregistered

Default Re: Marriage between Uncle and Niece

Well if u plan on telling everyone she is your neice and you're having sex then u can't live and b happy anywhere. But if u just keep your mouth shut and be a normal couple u can live together anywhere and look up the state of Virginia and Tennessee I don't believe it is illegal to marry there like I said don't ask don't tell.

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #113
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know about other countrys, but it is illegal in the US for relatives to marry, or to cohabitate as lovers.

There is probably somewhere in this strange world where it is accepted, but I don't think anyone here would know which country that would be. Try doing a Google search.
Holland, Denmark

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #114
Veteran Member
Bryants's Flag is: United States

Kind of an old topic, but I'm sure people will still find relevance in it. Like another poster said, if you want to live in peace don't tell anyone that you're and uncle and niece. I'm not condoning the relationship and I'm not going to judge, but this kind of relationship is frowned upon, so with that in mind, it's best just to keep those kinds of details private.
Bryants is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #115
Gugs

Quote:
hi i m 36 shes 24 and yes shes my legal niece her mother is my sis /we havebeen together for 2 and a half yrs before that we havent seen each other in 19 ys we love each other very much our family doesnt agree but they do deal with it we are adults and we told them that we r going to be together no matter what and if they wanted to b part of or lives than thats the way it is we have a great life together and r goingto get married in may 2010 somewere i have found out that florida does not do blood test to ever other uncle and niece out there if u love each other thats all that should matter
Hi, I'm also in the same boat... I and my own elder sister's daughter got married in 2007. Itís a family arranged marriage in India. We both travelled USA in 2008 and went back in 2010. Now we wanted to come back again to US, I got VISA, but my wife didnít. Consular is asking us to get a waiver letter from state attorney of general. Talking to few lawyers, but no one has experience in handling this kind of cases. So, looking some help in understanding how do I overcome with this issue and get my wife join me back in USAÖ Are there any states which recognize these kinds of marriages?
Pl share your thoughts, if you have come across this kind of issues in your life! Your help will save my lot of time and money. I personally thank everyone!

Old Oct 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM   #116
Unregistered

Hi I'm 30 and my niece is 21. I'm actually in this same situation, jus that I've done some research and found out for a fact that my niece is not blood related. She is only my niece cause my older brother is married to my sister in law and my niece is my brothers step daughter. My sister in law had her with her ex husband, so does that make it ok for us to continue in secrecy or what?

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #117
Unregistered

I live in the US and I'm in a similar situation. I am marrying my mother's half uncle. Her dad's half brother. We have been in love for so many years so we finally decided to tell everyone but half of the family is against it. It makes me sad to know that people say so many mean things to us. It's not illegal. It is prohibited in Islam, but in Jewish law is encouraged. We have done genetic counseling and we were told that our risk for having kids with genetic problems are only 1 or 2 % higher than unrelated couples. I don't understand why it's frowned upon when in this day and age even men are allowed to marry each other.

Old Oct 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #118
Unregistered

Argentina
Incest in Argentina is legal if both individuals are over the minimum age of consent.[3] Marriage between 3rd degree relatives and beyond is allowed, with the exception of marriage involving lineal ancestors and descendants, which is considered null and void disregarding the degree of separation (parent/offspring, grandparent-grandchild).[4]

Brazil
In Brazil, incest is considered any kind of sexual interaction between two blood related human beings. It has no criminal punishment if the involved are over the age of 14, capable of acting upon their legal rights, and that consent means that the relationship is absent of any kind of coercion or fraud. An uncle or aunt is allowed to have a relationship with a nephew or niece provided that they have a health check.[5]

New Zealand
Some forms of incest are illegal in New Zealand. This applies to parent/child relationships, grandparent/grandchild relationships, and relationships between siblings and half-siblings. A conviction for incest attracts a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment.[9]
Uncles and aunts can legally have an incestuous relationship with their adult (18 or over) niece and nephew, while opposite-sex adult couples can marry (avunculate marriage).

Netherlands
Consensual incest between adults is legal in the Netherlands.[18]

Portugal
Incest is not specifically prohibited under Portuguese law.[19]

Spain
Consensual incest between adults is legal in Spain.[18]

Russia
In Russia, consensual sex between adults, including incest, is not a crime.[18][20] However, under the Family Code of Russia, persons who are related lineally, siblings, half-siblings, and a stepparent and a stepchild may not marry.[21]

India
The Indian Penal Code (IPC) does not contain any specific provisions against incest.[32] As a result, incest is not an offence. If the victim of incest is a minor, it is treated as a case of child sexual abuse under Section 90 of the IPC which deals with sexual abuse of children. According to the IPC, "there is no specific provision in the Indian law as regards to sexual abuse of children by parents or teachers. Such acts are covered by the general provisions relating to sexual abuse of children by their custodian, in whatever capacity they may be.[33]

Israel
Consensual incest between adults is legal in Israel.[18]

Turkey
Consensual incest between adults is legal in Turkey.[18]

----------- I hope that help ------------ from Wikipedia

I have the same problem as some of you, my niece (my sister's daughter) are very much in love for the last 25 years, we are very close in age but unfortunately is the family traditions and respect is preventing us from coming out in the open, not the legal stuff.
If we didn't live close to our family, we could have lived together.

Old Nov 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #119
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica Proust View Post
i'm in the same situation , my uncle and I have been inlove with each other for so many years now .. he first fell for me, fortunately i'm feeling the same way too. We're sexually and emotionally attached to each other .. my mother knows about it , at first she can't believe it , but later on she just accept what was happening to both of us .. We've been planning to get married , we just don't know to where country we can legally get married. Any suggestions guys?
hello danica so happy to know there are other people with the same situation as me .so are you married now?where? and do you have any children? please reply thankyou

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM   #120
Unregistered

Quote:
The bible is not the law.

Further, the bible was written by man. Not by some supernatural "god". It has been translated and interpreted millions of times over and is not a reliable source for any actual logic based decision.

Please stop using the bible to wax legalities.
Explain that to God when you see Him. Like it or not, Biblical law is the foundation for quite a bit of US law. And what special insight do you have that God did NOT speak to moses? Were you there?? Has some other god spoken to you?? The basis of you claim that no supernatural god wrote the Bible (and I assume by extension you mean neither did any god dictate what to write) stands on the same ground that you summarily dismiss biblical law. As no one can prove God spoke to Moses, so you cannot disprove it. So you claim falls flat on its face and can be taken with no more authority than you give to claims that the bible is divinly authored by way of dictation.

Also your claim that the bible has been translated thousands of times is absurd on its face. You state it as though each translation was derived from a prior translation, which was derived from a prior translation etc. in fact, English translations we have today have come from the original languages they were written in. We have manuscripts that predate Christ, and when they are translated they differ not one iota in substance from those manuscripts. And they do not differ one iota from Greek translation of the original Hebrew texts in the Septuagint which was dome some 400 years before Christ.

You really need to research and learn about something before you en your mouth and demonstrate your complete lack of knowledge in a subject. It's embarrassing.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 141 replies and has been viewed 66024 times