Can we move out at 17, not be forced back home, and out of school?

This is a discussion on Can we move out at 17, not be forced back home, and out of school? within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My friend and I are 16. I will be 17 in July and she will be 17 in December. We ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 02:11 AM   #1
diadefiesta's Flag is: United States

Default Can we move out at 17, not be forced back home, and out of school?

My friend and I are 16. I will be 17 in July and she will be 17 in December. We are both graduating early and we are wanting to move out when we are 17 but we both know our moms wont go for it. We don't agree with the way we are treated at home and both are eager to leave home when we can.
We are very confused because we are told we can move out and not be forced to go home and the next we are told we have to have consint.
We need to know the truth and have proof because we don't want to be forced to go home or be involved with the law. Can we move out at 17, not be forced back home, and out of school if we graduate early?

I know that you are considered a child over the age of 10 but under the age of 17 so according to that definition I am not a child once I get to my 17th birthday. I also can not be considered a run away because the definition of a run away according to the attorney general is "a child who had left home voluntarily without parents consint with no intent to return home". I also couldn't be considered a missing child because once again it is for a child. I also can not be considered a missing person because that is directed towards adults and does not require you to leave if you are in reasonable conditions.

So can anyone correct me if I'm wrong or give me more information about this topic?
diadefiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 02:17 AM   #2
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Default re: Can we move out at 17, not be forced back home, and out of school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadefiesta View Post
My friend and I are 16. I will be 17 in July and she will be 17 in December. We are both graduating early and we are wanting to move out when we are 17 but we both know our moms wont go for it. We don't agree with the way we are treated at home and both are eager to leave home when we can.
We are very confused because we are told we can move out and not be forced to go home and the next we are told we have to have consint.
We need to know the truth and have proof because we don't want to be forced to go home or be involved with the law. Can we move out at 17, not be forced back home, and out of school if we graduate early?

I know that you are considered a child over the age of 10 but under the age of 17 so according to that definition I am not a child once I get to my 17th birthday. I also can not be considered a run away because the definition of a run away according to the attorney general is "a child who had left home voluntarily without parents consint with no intent to return home". I also couldn't be considered a missing child because once again it is for a child. I also can not be considered a missing person because that is directed towards adults and does not require you to leave if you are in reasonable conditions.

So can anyone correct me if I'm wrong or give me more information about this topic?
What state do you live in? The reason I ask is that the age of majority varies by state, and that will determine how we respond to your inquiry.

If you are near the age of majority, there are some states that will consider you a runaway, but will not have police chase you down and return you to your homes. Texas is one of those states that I know of for certain.

May I ask exactly what you mean when you say neither you or your friend like the way your parents treat you at home? Being a parent means having to make hard decisions that are in the best interests of the child, and children (older children especially) often feel like they know better than the parents what is good for them. While they may not like it, the parents control your entire world until you become legal adults, and that is not something you may have anything you can do about.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 02:28 AM   #3
Top Level Member

Default re: Can we move out at 17, not be forced back home, and out of school?

I wish to inform you that generally the laws of your state will determine your rights. In this regard generally you can move after becoming major. At 17 years of age you being minor may not move out without consent of your parents. A parent is the guardian of the child and therefore has right to restrict movement of child.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can we move out at 17, not be forced back home, and out of school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadefiesta View Post

First question: Where will you move to? How will each of you support yourselves? Pay rent, clothing, utilities, medical, etc. Have both of you graduated from school? Do either of you intend to go to college. Do you each have a full time job?

For the record, until the age of 18, you are considered a child. You are not an adult until at least the age of 18.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Unregistered

I never said by who.
Its not just our parents. We have trouble with our sibilings. We are both twins. The older twin to be. Both our sisters dont show us any respect. They hit us and all. Our parents don't really do anything but tell them to stop but that don't even help. We do everything possible to help our parents out and all but they don't seem to be OK with wat we do
As if nothing we do is good enough
my friend has a job and I'm still looking. Her twin sister had a job too but she quit because she got tired of it. My friend is still working and she wants to quit but doesn't. Her patents seem to be more proud of her sister then they are of her. I'm looking for a job and almost had one till my phone got shut off. But this isn't as bad as what normally goes on. There are multiple reasons why we want to leave but we can't because our moms say no but we keep getting told we can then we can't without consint. We both live in Texas.

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend In Court View Post
First question: Where will you move to? How will each of you support yourselves? Pay rent, clothing, utilities, medical, etc. Have both of you graduated from school? Do either of you intend to go to college. Do you each have a full time job?

For the record, until the age of 18, you are considered a child. You are not an adult until at least the age of 18.

We both graduate this year. We both will be moving in with some friends and she.has a job and if she could she would start full time but because she is still in school.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 4032 times