Where can an 18 yr old live under the "Homeless Youth Act" in NY?!

This is a discussion on Where can an 18 yr old live under the "Homeless Youth Act" in NY?! within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am an 18 year old girl, and as of October 2011, I have moved to my mothers in Albany ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1
lauren2012's Flag is: United States

Unhappy Where can an 18 yr old live under the "Homeless Youth Act" in NY?!

I am an 18 year old girl, and as of October 2011, I have moved to my mothers in Albany NY (Saratoga County), comming from my fathers residence in Brockport NY (Monroe County). They had joint custody of me, with me residing with my father until I graduated. I am a senior in high school, and wish to graduate in my fathers school district. My mother and I just do not get along, and most of her family agrees that I should leave as soon as I can. I'm not in any danger either. There is no way that I can stay with a friend, and my father is no longer speaking to me. I have talked to the guidance counselors in both school districts, and they both said that as long as I found a place to live, I could go back to school, and by law that the district has to educate me under the "Homeless Youth Act". I am looking to see if there is a program where families temporarily take children in, for whatever reason. It may be a boarding house type situation, or just a temporary care home. I am however, unwilling to go into a shelter, as I would feel that I would be taking up the spot of a person who truly needs the help. Any additional help, or advise as to where I should start looking would be very much appreciated.

Also, I have just been informed that this week would be the best time for me to go back to Brockport.
lauren2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Where can an 18 yr old live under the "Homeless Youth Act" in NY?!

I wish to inform you that Article 19 H of New York Code provides Runaway And Homeless Youth Act. In this regard the act provides that shelter will be provided to youth between the age of 16 and 21 and so you will be covered in the act. Further efforts will be made for re-uniting the youth with the family.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Where can an 18 yr old live under the "Homeless Youth Act" in NY?!

At 18, in addition to the possibility of going into a shelter, an option might be staying with the family of a friend in Brockport, someone you have gone to school with.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
I wish to inform you that Article 19 H of New York Code provides Runaway And Homeless Youth Act. In this regard the act provides that shelter will be provided to youth between the age of 16 and 21 and so you will be covered in the act. Further efforts will be made for re-uniting the youth with the family.

AFF
Thank you for your reply AFF. Where can I get information as to who to contact and how long this progress takes? I would like to put this in action as soon as I can. Where do I start?

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend In Court View Post
At 18, in addition to the possibility of going into a shelter, an option might be staying with the family of a friend in Brockport, someone you have gone to school with.
There is no possibility of me staying with a friend. I am working with the school social worker who has talked to my father, and he has made it very clear that I am no longer welcome in his home.

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Unregistered

Default Re: Where can an 18 yr old live under the "Homeless Youth Act" in NY?!

Hello,
I was actually in the same situation as you are in now. And ironically I too was in brockport high school and graduated in 2008. I am not sure who your counselor is, but mine was miss bartalo. Go to your counselors office and have them call the center for youth. They help out homeless youths like yourself and have actually helped me out tremendously. I am not sure what your plans are for the future, but you should stay in school and even go to college. I know it is hard, but i did it, and it is your best way out of the hell of being homeless. Because you are homeless, you can become and independent student and get grants and loans from the government to help you through going to college. I actually went to Monroe Community College after brockport, and am now going to SUNY IT.

Anyways, I hope this helps. Good luck.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
homeless, new york law, sponsor family members

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2211 times