WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters > Can a 17 year old legally move out with parental consent in California?

Can a 17 year old legally move out with parental consent in California?

This is a discussion on Can a 17 year old legally move out with parental consent in California? within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I've been doing searches on this topic and have found plenty of contradicting answers, and I'm not sure if it ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
melissa11235's Flag is: United States

Default Can a 17 year old legally move out with parental consent in California?

I've been doing searches on this topic and have found plenty of contradicting answers, and I'm not sure if it also depends on the person. I have my high school diploma and am a full-time college student, and will be 17 by the time I'd be moving out if I can. A friend who is over 18 is planning on getting an apartment with 2 other people, and offerred for me to be a fourth roommate. I know that I could be emancipated, but don't particularly want to go through all the work to do it, especially if I'd be able to move out anyway as long as I have parental consent. I also currently have a stable job and income, which would allow me to pay my portion of rent and other necessities. If someone could give me information on if I'd be able to move in with them, I'd really appreciate it.
melissa11235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can a 17 year old legally move out with parental consent in California?

You may live anywhere you parents permit but they will still be legally accountable for you and can revoke permission without cause or warning
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can a 17 year old legally move out with parental consent in California?

With your parents consent and providing you conduct yourself in a responsible, mature manner so as not to bring attention of anyone by getting into trouble, yes you can move out with your parents consent.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Unregistered

If parents do not agree you have to wait till age 18.

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa11235 View Post
I've been doing searches on this topic and have found plenty of contradicting answers, and I'm not sure if it also depends on the person. I have my high school diploma and am a full-time college student, and will be 17 by the time I'd be moving out if I can. A friend who is over 18 is planning on getting an apartment with 2 other people, and offerred for me to be a fourth roommate. I know that I could be emancipated, but don't particularly want to go through all the work to do it, especially if I'd be able to move out anyway as long as I have parental consent. I also currently have a stable job and income, which would allow me to pay my portion of rent and other necessities. If someone could give me information on if I'd be able to move in with them, I'd really appreciate it.
You're still a minor until the age of 18. As such, you cannot enter into contractual agreements (such as a lease) without a parent's signature.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
california, moving out, with parental consent

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 8070 times