Im 17 years old and wish to leave home (New York)

This is a discussion on Im 17 years old and wish to leave home (New York) within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I'm 17 years old, and live in the state of NewYork. Is it legal for me to move out on ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #1
ASAMAB

Confused Im 17 years old and wish to leave home (New York)

I'm 17 years old, and live in the state of NewYork. Is it legal for me to move out on my own without parental consent? If i was to leave home without parental consent could any legal action be taken? I read awhile back that if a 17 year old left home in NewYork without parental consent and refused to return home for any reason at all that no legal action could be taken. Want to see if it's true or just false information. If you left NewYork state at 17 without parental consent and did not return could any legal action be taken? What legal actions could be taken if yes?
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Im 17 years old and wish to leave home (New York)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAMAB View Post
I'm 17 years old, and live in the state of NewYork. Is it legal for me to move out on my own without parental consent? If i was to leave home without parental consent could any legal action be taken? I read awhile back that if a 17 year old left home in NewYork without parental consent and refused to return home for any reason at all that no legal action could be taken. Want to see if it's true or just false information. If you left NewYork state at 17 without parental consent and did not return could any legal action be taken? What legal actions could be taken if yes?
well all depends why your leaving the state
if you are leaving home to live with another family member then i guess your parents wouldnt have any problems if your leaving to be with someone that is same age or older then they might have some legal action really depends on your parents if they would push legal action or not

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #3
ASAMAB

I would be living with someone else who is not a relative. They might push legal action if any could be taken. Wanting to know if there is legal action that could be taken though if I was to leave home or runaway from home at 17 and refuse to return home for any reason could any legal action be taken?

Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

You cannot live outside of parental home without consent if your a minor. Its that simple. both yourself and whoever gives you a place to stay could be in legal trouble if you do this without consent
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3789 times