How can I legally get my husband to leave the house?

This is a discussion on How can I legally get my husband to leave the house? within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; How can I get my husband to leave the house? He refuses to contribute with the house bills...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default How can I legally get my husband to leave the house?

How can I get my husband to leave the house? He refuses to contribute with the house bills
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: How can I legally get my husband to leave the house?

I wish to inform you that you may make your husband move from the house if you can show that there exists a danger to you. In this regard, you may obtain restraining order. Alternatively, you may demand for reimbursement of the house bills if you intend to make your husband contribute to house expenses. In this, you may issue a written notice to your husband to contribute to the house expenses. If he does not resolve the issue with you then you may proceed to file the lawsuit. You can bring all the facts to the notice of the court. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Unregistered

Please ignore Affa's response. It's pure bunk and you cannot get reimbursement for any of the bills.

Simply put. You can't. File for divorce and put the house up for sale.

If he's abusive, you can go to court and ask for a Protection from Abuse order and ask in it that he be ordered to leave the premises. That is about the only way you can legally make him leave.

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Unregistered

You can get a court order if a spouses refuses to contribute to the household in a way that is extreme and improper. But it is easiest to do it in the context of a divorce filing.

One spouse cannot abuse another to the point of dangerous neglect.

Old May 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Unregistered

No, you can't "get a court order" if a spouse is not contributing. Courts are not made for such thing. There is such a thing as personal accountability and mature people use it.

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Unregistered

Question Re: How can I legally get my husband to leave the house?

Well first, is he not helping you at all with your bills and refusing to pay anything or is it more of not contributing what you think he should. Do you have records that he does not contribute to the house hold ie. Bank statements? Money is a big problem in most marriages these days and most couples have a way of seeing things differently when it comes to running a house hold. We sometimes make harsh decisions to get our points across and can cause more legal problems then your wanting. My question would be, are you truly wanting him to leave because of bills or is there more to it,legally? Have you tried to get him help with dealing with finances? Most people don't realize money and the spending of it, can become an illness, like drugs and alcohol. They think they have it under control, but clearly do not. Has he tried to help, or just plain refuses? If he is not contributing because of illegal activity then you might have a legal reason to have him leave, for a short time. That could be the determining factor in your case. If financial contribution is your biggest hurtle, try getting him and or yourself professional help with his spending addiction so he can better contribution to your hose hold. This is the only way he or she can learn they can not deal with fixing there money problems them selves. Legally you can not make him leave over bills, as a married couple you are both bound by them your debt is his debt and his is yours. You may try splitting your bills with him? This might take some burden off you and put more responsibility on him. My advice is seeking professional help for his issues and see if that fixes your problem. Having him leave over finances won’t solve your problems; it will just open you up for more legal questions.

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How can I get my husband to leave the house? He refuses to contribute with the house bills
I know this sounds stupid but it's my sister's husband. He's been unemployed for 3 years and still doesn't have a job. He says he's looking but actually plays video games all day. she has tried everything to get him going but he just has more excuses. she is scared she will loose everything that she has paid for in the last 3 years. She's just stuck

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #8
msg
Top Level Member
msg's Flag is: United States

You have to divorce or legally separate if you want court help removing them.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
I wish to inform you that you may make your husband move from the house if you can show that there exists a danger to you. In this regard, you may obtain restraining order. Alternatively, you may demand for reimbursement of the house bills if you intend to make your husband contribute to house expenses. In this, you may issue a written notice to your husband to contribute to the house expenses. If he does not resolve the issue with you then you may proceed to file the lawsuit. You can bring all the facts to the notice of the court. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF
Your legal advice is no more accurate than your grammar.

Old Oct 24th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

For anyone else who has this situation, filing for divorce or a decree of legal separation, with the prayer to maintain one's residence in the family home and the other person to move out should suffice.
Friend In Court is online now   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 18115 times