How to take father's name off of the birth certificate

This is a discussion on How to take father's name off of the birth certificate within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My friend has a 3 yr. old son. Her child's father is a danger to her and her son and ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default How to take father's name off of the birth certificate

My friend has a 3 yr. old son. Her child's father is a danger to her and her son and she has finally realized this. She would like to take his name off of the birth certificate
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Default Re: How to take father's name off of the birth certificate

Your friend cannot just remove the Father's name from birth certificate! If the Father poses a danger to child then she needs to go to court and have visitation supervised or removed pending counseling or the like
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Unregistered

People seem to be under the deluded impression that if they stick their head in the sand, the world ceases to exist.

Just because he's "a danger" does not negate the fact thatt he is biologically the child's father, and thus, his name will always be on the father's birth certificate. A person's life circumstances do not trump legal vital records. They exist to keep track of lineage, among other things. So, your friend cannot arbitrarily change the birth certificate simply because the guy may have a hinge or two loose.

Names on birth certificates have nothing whatsoever to do with a person's proclivities toward violence, or their character. It has to do with blood lineage. That will never change.

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My friend has a 3 yr. old son. Her child's father is a danger to her and her son and she has finally realized this. She would like to take his name off of the birth certificate
then she shouldnt have had this child with him if he was such a danger. she chose him, shes stuck with him wether she wants to be or not

Old Feb 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
then she shouldnt have had this child with him if he was such a danger. she chose him, shes stuck with him wether she wants to be or not
Wow. How many years has it been that you've been at this?

You'd be much better off spending your time getting an education so you can communicate like a human being instead of a neanderthal.

This "should have" blame game serves no purpose. The child is here now. We have to live in the reality that is here and now and stop living in "should have" land.

The only thing you accomplish with your ridiculous responses is to show the world how psychologically damaged you are.

Old Feb 27th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Unregistered

Wink Re: How to take father's name off of the birth certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover View Post
Your friend cannot just remove the Father's name from birth certificate! If the Father poses a danger to child then she needs to go to court and have visitation supervised or removed pending counseling or the like
Well I have a question, Im 24 yrs old and I want to take my father off my birth certificate..So is that possible? I mean he is a complete P.O.S, I want to rid him from mine and my kids lives.. Please help

Old Feb 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #7
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Well I have a question, Im 24 yrs old and I want to take my father off my birth certificate..So is that possible? I mean he is a complete P.O.S, I want to rid him from mine and my kids lives.. Please help
Apparently, you aren't picking up what we're putting down.

You can't undo the fact that this "P.O.S." is the father of the children and remove him from your lives by removing his name from the birth certificate. It doesn't work that way.

You chose this man to be the father of your children. Unless his parental rights are terminated (as a result of court action for cause, not just because you are asking for it to happen), then you don't get to choose whether or not he is a part of you and your children's lives.

Relationships begin and end every day. But parenthood is FOREVER. Remember that when you decide to do the horizontal boogie with that partner. If they aren't good enough to have in your life for the rest of your/your children's lives, then don't get in bed and produce children together. Simple enough.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 27th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Unregistered

LOL Sandyclaus! That first line made me laugh.

See how today's young adults still think, emote and behave like 4 year old's? To come to the insane, far reaching conclusion that a father's name can be removed merely because this person doesn't have an ideal relationship with his/her father is just ridiculous.

If you want him out of your life, simply stop associating with him. Problem solved. Grow up.

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 04:15 AM   #9
Maceyy

Quote:
LOL Sandyclaus! That first line made me laugh.

See how today's young adults still think, emote and behave like 4 year old's? To come to the insane, far reaching conclusion that a father's name can be removed merely because this person doesn't have an ideal relationship with his/her father is just ridiculous.

If you want him out of your life, simply stop associating with him. Problem solved. Grow up.
If the father of your children is a bad father figure and is not a good role model to have them grow up around, it is NOT childish to want him removed. So some of us accidentally had children with a man who showed his true colors after all was said and done. so I thought I knew him when I didn't. THATS where we messed up. But what we messed up on before, in the PAST doesn't matter. I'm in the same situation. My baby's dad left me when I was pregnant but showed up at birth. When I saw him there, I figured the reality would set in and he'd be the man my son needed so I put him on the birth certificate bc I wanted him to know I was giving him the opportunity to be a father.

But 6 months later, he's BARELY improved and ive given him chance after chance. Its to the point where I need to do what I need to make sure my baby doesnt grow up with a piece of **** hanging around his life for no reason & stressing me out. Sure, we could have prevented the entire situation, but it is what it is and we can't change the way it all went down.

If I had the chance, i'd remove him off the birth certificate because, blood or not, a father isnt a father without BEING a father. Blood means ****. Its who the person is to you. I want him off the birth certificate.so he cant come and go and put a negative impact on us and have that be legal.

If you don't get that, cool.
But it doesnt make us childish.
Maybe you just dont get what its like to be in our shoes.
Thanks.

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member
StorageGuy's Flag is: United States

Quote:
The law of paternity and the recordation of live births does not allow a mother to simply amend a certificate of live birth at will. For example, if a mother erroneously identifies a father at birth, then one must file a paternity action in court. Parties will be notified, a hearing held and if warranted, a court order issued amending the birth certificate. Unless there has been a mistake made in identifying the father, a party would find it almost impossible to simply remove a father from a certificate of live birth.

Occasionally a mother will not identify a father. Hospital staff often encourages a mother to identify a father due to the stigma associated with not having a father on a child;s birth certificate. There have been cases where mothers disclose a name, knowing that the individual was not the actual father. This is commonly seen in marriages where the woman is having another relationship outside the marriage. These are all complications that arise in paternity and the rules and outcomes vary greatly.

The bottom line is that one cannot simply remove a fathers name from a certificate of live birth simply because they do not like the father. Of course, individuals have the right to file a name change petition and after appearing in court, they are almost always granted. However, changing history can be a very difficult thing.
StorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 18562 times