Moving out at age 17 in Texas

This is a discussion on Moving out at age 17 in Texas within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; State: Texas i am 17 and i live in texas. i told my parents i was moving out. i told ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Moving out at age 17 in Texas

State: Texas

i am 17 and i live in texas. i told my parents i was moving out. i told them where i was going and who i was staying with. i left then 4 days later they call me saying it was illegal for me to move out because i didnt get their approval. so do i have to go home?
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2
msg
Top Level Member
msg's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Moving out at age 17 in Texas

I think technically the age is 18 but as you will see in other discussions on this forum, TX police don't seem to force the minor back if he/she is 17.

You might call your local police dept to confirm and see other discussions about this on this Forum.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Here in TX they will not force a 17 year old to go home, provided they are not homeless.

They will make you call and let your parents know you are okay.

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Unregistered

Ok, I have a son that is 16 and has a baby. He has custody of his child. The mother of the child lives in a bad home and she is also 16. I have hired an attorney on behalf of the mother of my grand child, and in Texas you can legally leave at 17 WITHOUT parents consent, and the cops will NOT force you to go home. I hired the attorney because we knew that the other mother would try and stop her from moving out at 17, and well she was shot down not only from the cops, but CPS as well. We are waiting until she is 17 and then she will be moving with us to another state. My attorney is a Family law attorney of 22 years, and is great. So the best thing to do if u are living in the state of Texas is 1.) Contact and attorney, 2) Talk to your local police department, and they will tell u what the TRUE law about a 17 yr old moving out.....I also moved out when I was 17, and the law was the same in the 90's as it is here. My father also tried to stop me and was told there was NOTHING he could do.

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: Moving out at age 17 in Texas

Ok I'm 17 and 3 months pregnant. My parents were completely there for me and I had no problems living here at home until my sister who is also pregnant moved back in and it's like everybody has changed.. Before she came back me and my parents were all literally best friends and now we might every single day and she yells till she gets her way. My mom
is constantly taking her side no matter what, I've gone to all my appointments without my mom bcuz she claims she has clients at work yet she has time to make it to all my sisters appointments. My sister always tells me she's gna kill my baby and my mom is Always stressing me out and there's times tht I get so stressed I feel like I'm gna have a miscarriage. I want away but my mom says if I move in with my boyfriends that she will get him put him in jail, he is 28. Can I move out legally and can he go to jail? Might I mention he lives with his mom and little brother it's not like he's living alone.. Help me out please/:

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ok I'm 17 and 3 months pregnant. My parents were completely there for me and I had no problems living here at home until my sister who is also pregnant moved back in and it's like everybody has changed.. Before she came back me and my parents were all literally best friends and now we might every single day and she yells till she gets her way. My mom
is constantly taking her side no matter what, I've gone to all my appointments without my mom bcuz she claims she has clients at work yet she has time to make it to all my sisters appointments. My sister always tells me she's gna kill my baby and my mom is Always stressing me out and there's times tht I get so stressed I feel like I'm gna have a miscarriage. I want away but my mom says if I move in with my boyfriends that she will get him put him in jail, he is 18. Can I move out legally and can he go to jail? Might I mention he lives with his mom and little brother it's not like he's living alone.. Help me out please/:
HE'S 18 NOT 28 my bad

Old Nov 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM   #7
taxas girl

Exclamation Re: Moving out at age 17 in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
HE'S 18 NOT 28 my bad
You can live with your boyfriend. I just moved out of my house and im 17 living with my boyfriend who is 20 and his parents and his sister who is also my age. Mostly i dont think someone should leave at 17 but in cases like urs and mine move out.... make sure that you have all your stuff before u leave of course. hope it all works out for u

Old Nov 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Unregistered

What about Louisiana at 17?

Old Dec 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #9
May

Iv told my mom I'm going to move out because the way she is she hits me and calls me very ugly names that a mother should not call her kids but i need to now if its legal for me to move out and I"m 17,
ill be 18 in 6 months.

Old Dec 1st, 2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by May View Post
Iv told my mom I'm going to move out because the way she is she hits me and calls me very ugly names that a mother should not call her kids but i need to now if its legal for me to move out and I"m 17,
ill be 18 in 6 months.

No, it's not legal. However, TX appears to be somewhat reluctant to return 17-almost 18 year olds when they run away/leave home. You could just stick it out and then at midnight + 1 minute on the day of your 18th birthday, leave and never return.

If you're being abused, you can call CPS or 911. Emancipation is not going to be a viable option for you.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 64 replies and has been viewed 43593 times