Alabama: 17 with parents consent. Can I move out?

This is a discussion on Alabama: 17 with parents consent. Can I move out? within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I'm 17 & looking to move out. I live in Alabama. I have my parents consent. Can I legally move ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused Alabama: 17 with parents consent. Can I move out?

I'm 17 & looking to move out. I live in Alabama. I have my parents consent. Can I legally move out?
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Alabama: 17 with parents consent. Can I move out?

The legal age of majority in all but four states is 18. In Alabama and Nebraska it is 19 in Mississippi it is 21. Until a minor reaches the age of majority the parents are legally and financially responsible for them. Because of this parents of a minor can use the court and authorities to have the minor returned to their custody, relieved of their parental obligations or request the minor be placed under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court and made a ward of the state. Any officer of the law or other legal authority who allows a minor to leave parental custody without there being a court order in place, can be subjected to disciplinary and civil penalties.

Age of majority

The age of majority is the threshold of adulthood as it is conceptualized (and recognized or declared) in law. It is the chronological moment when a child legally ceases to be considered a minor and assumes control over their persons, actions and decisions, thereby terminating the legal control and legal responsibilities of their parents or guardian over and for them. The word majority here refers to having greater years and being of full age; it is opposed to minority, the state of being a minor. The law in a given jurisdiction may never actually use the term "age of majority" and the term thereby refers to a collection of laws bestowing the status of adulthood. The age of majority is a legally fixed age, concept or statutory principle, which may differ depending on the jurisdiction, and may not necessarily correspond to actual mental or physical maturity of an individual.

Age of Majority Chart

A

Alabama: 19

Alaska: 18

Arizona: 18

Arkansas: 18

C

California: 18

Colorado: 18

Connecticut: 18

D

Delaware: 18

District of Columbia: 21

F

Florida: 18

G

Georgia: 18

H

Hawaii: 18

I

Idaho: 18

Illinois: 18

Indiana: 18

Iowa: 18

K

Kansas: 18

Kentucky: 18

L

Louisiana: 18

M

Maine: 18

Maryland: 18

Massachusetts: 18

Michigan: 18

Minnesota: 18

Mississippi: 21

Missouri: 18

Montana: 18

N

Nebraska: 19

Nevada: 18

New Hampshire: 18

New Jersey: 18

New Mexico: 18

New York: 18

North Carolina: 18

North Dakota: 18

O

Ohio: 18

Oklahoma: 18

Oregon: 18

P

Pennsylvania: 18

R

Rhode Island: 18

S

South Carolina: 18

South Dakota: 18

T

Tennessee: 18

Texas: 18

U

Utah: 18

V

Vermont: 18

Virginia: 18

W

Washington: 18

West Virginia: 18

Wisconsin: 18

Wyoming: 18.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm 17 & looking to move out. I live in Alabama. I have my parents consent. Can I legally move out?
actually u can leave when your 16 if ur able to take care of yourself and if your parents sign a contract made for kids 16 and 17 then yes you can move out and they cant do anything to bring you back as long as they sign it

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Unregistered

a child at seventeen can be emancipated from his parents. basically the paretns sign over all rights and responsibilities of the child. ...

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

My God you are all complicating this. Yes if your parents say its ok you may move out! However to warn you this does not remove them of parental responsilities for you. Your parents can also revoke this permission at anytime if they choose
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Unregistered

Angry re: Alabama: 17 with parents consent. Can I move out?

hi i move out of my ma house and live with my boy friend and then i was told to move back with my ma cuz of the police told i had 2 what sould i do i real hate not being with him and being in a school that ever 1 hate me in this school when i move back

Old Dec 14th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #7
Unregistered

Also can i move out with the consent of my parents at the age of 16, if i am making myself sick by seeing someone i was in a very long and serious relationship with someone else..

Old Feb 10th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8

View Member's Twitter Profile

Regardless of where you live, If you have your parents permission to move out then you can leggaly move out as long as your parents stated that it was okay for you to move out
alyssa&devante is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #9
jake112233

hey,
my girl friend is 17 years old and she cant stand her dad. her parents are separated but she doesn't want to live with her mom either. Im 18 and live in my own place. can she move in with me? we are in north Dakota and normaly the age is 18.

jake

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

No Jake she cannot unless your married or both parents consent. Now depending on age of consent in your state you might not be able to live together without marriage first
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 13870 times