shared custody, other parent moves

This is a discussion on shared custody, other parent moves within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; If we have shared primary residency and responsibilities so long as we both live in the same city. Other parent ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM   #1

Default shared custody, other parent moves

If we have shared primary residency and responsibilities so long as we both live in the same city. Other parent moves to another city, does that parent lose their primary residency?
allgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:40 PM   #2

Default Re: shared custody, other parent moves

Probably. The residency of the child should remain the same, but then again you never know what decision a court is going to come up with.
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Unregistered

I guess I just don't want to be the one to lose my share because of my ex moving. My son still goes to the same school where I live, but his father might convince him to go to the other school next year. I'm just not sure if I should be going to the court with this or not. Thanks for the response.

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #4

Yes, you should be going to court over it. A move such as this will require changes to the parenting orders.
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #5
Unregistered

Normally the other parent can't just up and move to another state without the other parent permission. If the parent did move without the other parent permission, then in some states you can bring that parent up on kidnapping charges, federal if the person went across state line. get a hold of a lawyer quick and read your divorce decree.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1323 times