Maryland, Florida, Texas -- divorce and support of my two children

This is a discussion on Maryland, Florida, Texas -- divorce and support of my two children within the Other Family Law Matters forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Paperwork was filed in Maryland for my divorce and support of my two children about six years ago. My kids ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Unregistered

Exclamation Maryland, Florida, Texas -- divorce and support of my two children

Paperwork was filed in Maryland for my divorce and support of my two children about six years ago. My kids and I moved to Texas to be near family.

My ex lives in Florida now. The kids visit him during the summer only. He pays with monetary changes each year after income verification per the courts request. Now he's down to partial payments (his new rule)and he wants custody.

I can't keep going back to Maryland to file complaints for non payments.
There's the expense of airfare, caring for my other two children, (I am remarried).

My kids lives are in Texas - this is a ploy because he doesn't want to pay the increase in child support. I'm afraid he'll start paperwork in Florida and I'll have to relinquish my children to him (and also have to pay him support).

I think I have to move the court paperwork from Maryland to Texas (my residence of five years) but attorney fees are too high for me to retain one at this time. But time is of the essense.

Is there a way of blocking this move on his part? Is there an attorney base that is licensed in Maryland and Texas to get me started with what I need to do? HELP!

Thank you in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:04 PM   #2
loved08's Flag is: United States

Default re: Maryland, Florida, Texas -- divorce and support of my two children

1st. It doesn't matter if you have to re-mortgage your house. These are your kids. YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY. GET 1.
2nd. There are too many ins & outs w/o an attorney you might lose simply bc of a paper misread or something little.
If the children have lived w/ you for 5 years there should NO reason he would get custody. As long as you don't anything they should be taken away for...drugs, etc. The judge will have to hear his side. But make you get affidavits from friends/family/co-workers stating when he was/wasn't in their life, going to games, homework, morals, etc. all of it. Get some for you, some against him, some records from doctors/schools will help too. Get them to show how much better they're doing in texas than they were in maryland. There should be enough in those. Also get statement of wages for you & him if you can. Show the paperwork that you have filed non-payments, etc. with police and courts. There should enough to put him in jail. You can only have so many non-pays til he goes to jail. Then he can only get out when his child support is paid in full. It sucks that your'e going to have to do it but you need to get some sort of loan for an attorney. That's the only sure way you have that you will win. Although it is not simple there is always the option to represent yourself. Go to the library (or if you have internet at home) & look up laws on the matter in your state, etc. Also the librarian can help you find the case laws in the reference section of the library. It's hard; but not impossible to represent self; that's why it's still a right.
loved08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #3

Default re: Maryland, Florida, Texas -- divorce and support of my two children

If neither of you live in Maryland any more, and the children have established residency in Texas, then I think Texas courts would have Jurisdiction.
I'm thinking there is some way you could file with your local court for a change in jurisdiction, without necessarily making allegations against the father, but I'm not familiar with this area of law.
You could:
A) Ask your local courts for information on changing jurisdiction.
B) Ask a local attorney about changing jurisdiction.
C) File a motion for change of jurisdiction yourself. The worst that could happen is that the court would say "no", or tell you that you need to follow a different procedure.
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1047 times