Can I Apply for H-1B with J1 Camp Counselor Visa? Other Options?

This is a discussion on Can I Apply for H-1B with J1 Camp Counselor Visa? Other Options? within the F-1 and J-1 Student Visas forum, part of the H-1B Worker Visas category; Hi, I'm comming to work as a camp counselor during the summer of 2011. I'll get a J1 camp counselor ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Dex

Confused Can I Apply for H-1B with J1 Camp Counselor Visa? Other Options?

Hi,

I'm comming to work as a camp counselor during the summer of 2011. I'll get a J1 camp counselor visa which will be valid for 4 months. As I understood, with this type of J1 visa, I can't work for anybody else after I finish my work at the camp. I can stay and travel through U.S. until the end of my J1 and DS 2019.
That's all fine and clear, but my idea is to try to find a legal way to stay and work in the U.S.

I know I can't extend my J1 so I presume only way is to find an employer who would be ready to hire me and to file a request for H-1B before my J1 expires. Am I correct ? Is there something I'm missing here ?
The big question is: is there something preventing me to transfer my J1 counselor to H-1B ? If so, can you recommend me to try something else, like to enroll in an university an receive F1 ?

Thank you in advance for the help!

D.
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Can I Apply for H-1B with J1 Camp Counselor Visa? Other Options?

You can have an H1b after a J.

You can complete and print your J Visa Waiver Recommendation Application (Form DS-3035) online at Waiver of the J Visa Two-Year Foreign Residence Requirement, 212(e). All official forms needed are also available online, including Form DS-3035. Full application instructions are available at Instructions for Applying for the State Department's Recommendation on a Request for a Waiver of the INA 212(e) Two-Year Foreign Residence Requirement Pertaining to J-1 Exchange Visitors. Also, see J-1 Visa Waiver Recommendation Application Instructions.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 29th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Hi,

I'm comming to work as a camp counselor during the summer of 2011. I'll get a J1 camp counselor visa which will be valid for 4 months. As I understood, with this type of J1 visa, I can't work for anybody else after I finish my work at the camp. I can stay and travel through U.S. until the end of my J1 and DS 2019.
That's all fine and clear, but my idea is to try to find a legal way to stay and work in the U.S.

I know I can't extend my J1 so I presume only way is to find an employer who would be ready to hire me and to file a request for H-1B before my J1 expires. Am I correct ? Is there something I'm missing here ?
The big question is: is there something preventing me to transfer my J1 counselor to H-1B ? If so, can you recommend me to try something else, like to enroll in an university an receive F1 ?

Thank you in advance for the help!

D.
Hi I'm also going to the USA for 4 months for the student jobs on a J1 Work/Travel visa starting Dec 2011 - Mar 2012 I also wanna work and live legally in America after my visa expires! Please let's keep in touch and help each other out if its okay with u thanks

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
camp, counselor, h-1b, j1 visa, status

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1434 times