Can nursing home sue me for deceased Mother's bills?

This is a discussion on Can nursing home sue me for deceased Mother's bills? within the Elder Law forum, part of the Other Family Law Matters category; I received a notice that I am being sued for the balance for my deceased Mom's care at the nursing ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Legal Eagle's Flag is: United States

Default Can nursing home sue me for deceased Mother's bills?

I received a notice that I am being sued for the balance for my deceased Mom's care at the nursing home. The papers say I didn't handle getting her on Medicare timely, (Mother was on Medicaid), therefore I am being sued for $28,000. This was after my cancer treatments and after I had my colon resection because I had diverticulitis. I was just not strong enough to do all of of this work.

My sister said she would do the paper work and then when she found out how much work it was, she called me and sent me a copy of the Will saying she wasn't going to do the paperwork, and that my mother had chose me to be the person to do all the paper work. I still have the copy of the Will with my mother's note on the bottom of the copy.

I called the state of Connecticut but was unable to get my mom's worker to work with me because my sister name was on her file. I finally got my name on the file. My mom's lawyer said they would do the paper work but it took them forever. I called and emailed them a bunch of times because I was getting nervous because it took them three months to complete the paperwork. The nuring home sends me a bill about every three months and I throw it away because they knew she was on Medicaid. She had no money.

Now I am being sued. Do you know anything that could help me out? I called my mom's lawyer's office and left a message but they are not returning phone calls.

There was never any Power of Attorney from my Mother, and I do not have the money to pay the nursing home. I never signed for my Mother's care. I stand to lose my house if the nursing home sues me.

I would be GREATLY APPRECIATIVE of ANY advice you can give me.
Legal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can nursing home sue me for deceased Mother's bills?

I wish to inform you that you cannot be made liable for your mothers bills. You were not surety for medical bills and you being a separate entity cannot be sued for her debts. The bills can be claimed against your mothers assets but you cannot be personally liable for debts of your mother.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Unregistered

if you did not get help, send me your email address and I will try to help you. I am a lawyer but not in CT so I will try to direct you to help. I don't like to see sick people get bullied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Eagle View Post
I received a notice that I am being sued for the balance for my deceased Mom's care at the nursing home. The papers say I didn't handle getting her on Medicare timely, (Mother was on Medicaid), therefore I am being sued for $28,000. This was after my cancer treatments and after I had my colon resection because I had diverticulitis. I was just not strong enough to do all of of this work.

My sister said she would do the paper work and then when she found out how much work it was, she called me and sent me a copy of the Will saying she wasn't going to do the paperwork, and that my mother had chose me to be the person to do all the paper work. I still have the copy of the Will with my mother's note on the bottom of the copy.

I called the state of Connecticut but was unable to get my mom's worker to work with me because my sister name was on her file. I finally got my name on the file. My mom's lawyer said they would do the paper work but it took them forever. I called and emailed them a bunch of times because I was getting nervous because it took them three months to complete the paperwork. The nuring home sends me a bill about every three months and I throw it away because they knew she was on Medicaid. She had no money.

Now I am being sued. Do you know anything that could help me out? I called my mom's lawyer's office and left a message but they are not returning phone calls.

There was never any Power of Attorney from my Mother, and I do not have the money to pay the nursing home. I never signed for my Mother's care. I stand to lose my house if the nursing home sues me.

I would be GREATLY APPRECIATIVE of ANY advice you can give me.

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Banned User
MacDexter's Flag is: United States

I agree with AFFA, you are an individual entity and no body can force you to pay your mother's debt.
MacDexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
nursing home

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3854 times