Texas DWI, Mental illness and prescription drug abuse

This is a discussion on Texas DWI, Mental illness and prescription drug abuse within the Drunk Driving, DUI, DWI forum, part of the Traffic & Speeding Tickets category; My husband got his 3rd DWI in texas which is a felony. My husband has Bipolar I disorder that has ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Confused Texas DWI, Mental illness and prescription drug abuse

My husband got his 3rd DWI in texas which is a felony. My husband has Bipolar I disorder that has never been under control. He has been in two mental hospitals one 15 years ago and one about 3 years ago. Also about 5 years ago I ask the judge to commit him and she would not ,he was abusing xanex extremely bad and she said she could not tell him how to take his medication. From what I understand with it being his 3rd dwi that he is facing state jail or prison. My question is how to make the legal system see that he needs a rehab for dual diagnosis and not a prison sentence. He needs therapy on a daily basis and also behavior therapy. He has abused his medication to the point of him stopping breathing and me have to shake him to make him breathe. Also the last time I talked him into the mental hospital he was so bad off they would not admit him until he was checked out by docs at hospital because he had took so much medication, the next day he checked himself out and right back to doing the same thing. Well right now he knows he is his biggest enemy he realizes he does need help in getting his behavior under control ,but how do you make a judge understand mental illness. All answers appreciated
thebarkers0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Texas DWI, Mental illness and prescription drug abuse

You need to have legal counsel hired and have him/her persuasively make that argument.
Hire professionals to give medical opinions about his condition.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1785 times