FILIPINO AND US CITIZEN MARRIAGE IS VALID?

This is a discussion on FILIPINO AND US CITIZEN MARRIAGE IS VALID? within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; PHILIPPINES - Hi! I am a Filipino 26 years of age. Just want to know if my marriage to a ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Iamdesperate's Flag is: Philippines

Default FILIPINO AND US CITIZEN MARRIAGE IS VALID?

PHILIPPINES - Hi!
I am a Filipino 26 years of age. Just want to know if my marriage to a US citizen is valid. One month after civil wedding, she went to US already with my daughter and left me here in the Philippines. She has no plan to go back to the Philippines. He has already bf there and i Have a gf here whom I want to marry but cant because im "married". If valid, what should i do? THANK YOU
Iamdesperate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: FILIPINO AND US CITIZEN MARRIAGE IS VALID?

I wish to inform you that you can take divorce abroad and then you can marry in Philippines. In Philippines divorce is not allowed but foreign divorce is recognized. Hence the only option available for you is to have divorce in foreign country and then re marry.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: FILIPINO AND US CITIZEN MARRIAGE IS VALID?

how do you know this? I really need help i live in the US married a filipino who i barely knew and he turned out to be awful! a month after meeting him i got pregnant a month after that we got married in the philippines and less then 6 months after we met we were no longer together.. it has been awhile and im with someone else and pregnant a second time.. i need to know if my marriage is valid here in the us and if so how to make it go away!!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #4
Top Level Member

According to the Family Code of Conduct of the Philippines, family values are so strong that divorce is not permitted by law, though annulments are allowed under certain circumstances. Fraud and certain other circumstances could be grounds for annulment. Annulments are subject to a psychological assessment as well as an investigation to discover any possible collusion between spouses to get around the law.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdesperate View Post
PHILIPPINES - Hi!
I am a Filipino 26 years of age. Just want to know if my marriage to a US citizen is valid. One month after civil wedding, she went to US already with my daughter and left me here in the Philippines. She has no plan to go back to the Philippines. He has already bf there and i Have a gf here whom I want to marry but cant because im "married". If valid, what should i do? THANK YOU
Divorce is not recognized in the Philippines, only annulment. Even if a Philippino divorces abroad, it will not be recognized if the Phillipine native was the one who instituted the divorce.

You need to see about obtaining an annulment .
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Unregistered

hi i am married with US citizen, we got married here in manila, after 3 years i left him... and now i am asking him to help me for the annulment process fee,, but he doesnt want to.. is it possible if i fill an annulment and force him to pay for all the fees?

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
sandyclaus's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi i am married with US citizen, we got married here in manila, after 3 years i left him... and now i am asking him to help me for the annulment process fee,, but he doesnt want to.. is it possible if i fill an annulment and force him to pay for all the fees?
Probably not.

Unless he entered into the marriage on the basis for fraud, it's YOU who has decided to end the marriage. You want it, you get to pay for it.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #8
jeanni's Flag is: Philippines

I have question im.married in philippines and we both left and went to different country.. im here in usa and my husband in barhain. I filled a divorce here. Can he also used that divorce to marry again in the philippines.. im asking this because in previous reply i read that u can filled divorce and remarry agian in philippines.. just confuse because divorce is not acknowlegde over there...
jeanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanni View Post
I have question im.married in philippines and we both left and went to different country.. im here in usa and my husband in barhain. I filled a divorce here. Can he also used that divorce to marry again in the philippines.. im asking this because in previous reply i read that u can filled divorce and remarry agian in philippines.. just confuse because divorce is not acknowlegde over there...
A Philippine national may not obtain a divorce in another country and have it recognized in the Philippines. The non Philippine half of the marriage can, however, file for divorce and then it would be recognized in the Philippines.

The divorce you filed for in the USA would not be recognized in the Philippines. Had HE filed, it would be a different story.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #10
jeanni's Flag is: Philippines

My other concern is my situation now i went here tuarist visa. And i stay here for good.. because of lots if reason i decide to filed divorce... im not usc yet... can i marry a usc here if ever? U think there no complicated for filing fir adjust status someday... im married in philippine..
jeanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 42 replies and has been viewed 9672 times