US Citizen wants to Divorce A Canadian Citizen

This is a discussion on US Citizen wants to Divorce A Canadian Citizen within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I live in US, I married 1 yr ago a canadian citizen. 2 weeks after moving all my belongings(furniture, personal, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #1

Unhappy US Citizen wants to Divorce A Canadian Citizen

I live in US, I married 1 yr ago a canadian citizen. 2 weeks after moving all my belongings(furniture, personal, household) to Canada, he decided he wanted to go back with ex-wife. He indicated this to me after I returned to US for 2 wks. I have been in US since(5 month's) I sent him money to send me back my personal belongings. he took 2 month's to send me 4 boxes thru UPS. I told him I needed the rest of my personal and household item. He stated if I wanted them back I needed to send him the $$$. Mind you I paid for the move to Canada. $2,500.00 US. He left me with nothing here in US I have had to sleep on the floor, live with others, etc. I sent him a certified letter in June, asking him to please send me my belongings. Still he indicated to me I would have to pay for them to be sent back. Everything I own he has. From bedroom set to washer and dryer, dining room set, Big screen TV, living room set, and the list goes on. All these items were purchased by me here in the USA. I have receipts for most items. We have never actually lived together. We married here in US. He went back to Canada, we have only lived 2 wks together as husband and wife and that was when I sent my belongings to Canada. I was going to be commuting between Canada and US. Untill my paperwork went thru in Canada to legally live together there with him. He rented an apartment where we would be living, so I wanted him to have furniture for him to be comfortable in while we were waiting on my paperwork. I find out he never filed imigration paperwork on me. Now I am in US with nothing... he emailed me a few days ago, stating if I do not send him $$$ to send my property back to me. He is going to give it to charity. He stated my belongings were in a garage and after a certain date they were going to be removed. He stated to me his Apt(which I sent him 2,000.00) to rent was not a storage place for me. My question is... Is this legal for him to do this.

I have about 4,000.00 in furniture and personal property, I do not have 2,500.00 to pay to move my belongings back to the US right now. My plans were to be with him. but it seems he had others like having all my property there with him, and scamming me. MIND YOU HE IS NIGERIAN!!!! Should've known!!!

Can he remove and give away my property that is in his apt. We are not divorced yet.. Will he be responsible for restitution for those items if he gives them away without my consent.

It took me 3 motnh's to find a job, I left it all for this man, job, apt, etc... for him to do this to me now... I need advice... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
WWJD2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Unregistered

Confused Re: US Citizen wants to Divorce A Canadian Citizen

I'm sorry for what you have had to go through. I wish I had the answers. I married a canadian citizen too last July 23, 2007. I also am a us citizen. I would like to know if I can get an annulment. I also did not really know the man I was marrying. Our plan was to move to Canada. We also married in Canada. I was there for only 2 short months. The man was very controlling and sheltered my 12 year old daughter and I from outside contact. We could not go to church or watch TV or go to movies. She could not even e-mail her friends on the internet because he would not give her internet priviledges. We had nothing to do and knew not anyone. Anyway, I had to move back to the US because legally I could not get a passport for my daugher because her birth dad would not ok her moving to Canada. Legally, to obtain a passport both parents have to consent to it until the minor is 16. Anyway, my canadian husband will not move here to the USA; neither will he help to support me. I also lost everything I had to marry him and move to Canada. I gave up my cleaning business, and sold or gave away almost everything. He wouldn't even help to get my things across the border. He also said he would pay all my depths, which of cource, he didn't. My car was repossed because when I moved to Canada he wouldn't make payments like he said he would. Long story short, when I came back here I had to get help from our government to even have funds to get an apartment. He didn't help. What I would like to know is- can I get an annulment? We don't have a marriage. He only wants a marriage if I'm in Canada and he can completely control me. I feel like I've been frauded too. Can anyone help me?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #3
OVERWHELMED

Default Re: US Citizen wants to Divorce A Canadian Citizen

IM SO SORRY TO HEAR YOUR STORY.....I HAVE JUST POSTED MY OWN 'CANADIAN HUSBAND' NIGHTMARE (I HOPE, ITS MY FIRST TIME AT THIS!) IM AFRAID I CANT OFFER ANY ADVICE OTHER THAN TAKING HIM TO COURT THERE FOR YOUR THINGS, BUT IVE HAD A CANDIAN SUPPORT ORDER FOR FOUR YEARS NOW, MY HUSBAND OWES ME $37,000, AND I CANT GET A DIME OF HIM, BECAUSE I HAVE NO MONEY TO BE THERE, AND RETAIN A LAYWER? THE LEGAL SYSTEM (IN B.C ANYWAY?) APPEARS TO PROTECT THE ONE WHO 'BREAKS' THE LAW. I HAVE BEEN HOSPITALISED THREE TIMES FOR STRESS RELATED ISSUES, FOR JUST TRYING TO GET A FEW DOLLARS FROM HIM FOR FOOD? PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU GOT HELP FROM OUR GOVERNMENT HERE? I CANNOT GET HELP ANYWHERE! AND MY HUSBAND, LIED TO ME ABOUT FILING THE CORRECT SPONSERSHIP PAPERS FOR FIVE YEARS? HE NEVER DID FILE THEM??
IF YOU CAN HELP...PLEASE LET ME KNOW, AND I WILL FORWARD ANY INFO. OF USE TO YOU TOO.IS YOUR HUSBAND IN BC?

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Unregistered

Confused Re: US Citizen wants to Divorce A Canadian Citizen

I am looking for same advice, but I am Canadian who married USA citizen. We have been married for over 6 years now and I moved all my things to US and now I am in Canada because he never filed for me in USA and I got stuck on the border at one point. All my things (furniture, washer/dryer, etc...) are with him and I end up with nothing in Canada. No job, car or place to live. He promise to file for me this time but its been 3 months and nothing. How do I go about divorce and getting my things back or is there anything I could do to go back to US since I lived there 6 years but with out any status.

Can I request spousal support or make him return my property?
Honestly, I really want to be able to go back to USA because I made my life there for over 6 years and I even have a good job if I am back. IS there anything in immigration law to help me go back. I feel he just abandon me here, like he does not want me to go back.

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: US Citizen wants to Divorce A Canadian Citizen

Hi there, I am in a similur situation. I married a Us Citizen and am a Canadian Citizen. I am back in Canada and he is in the USA, I do not want to return to the USA but want to be able to get a divorce from him. Is there any way I can do it here in Canada. What happened was I went for a visit in a different state to see friends and when I returned home he had moved his ex-wife in and kicked me out, so I returned to Canada. He said he was never going to file for a divorce and would never sign papers for it. Please help, how do I divorce him in Canada.

Old Nov 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #6

View Member's Twitter Profile

He can not sell your personal belongings. That's illegal, and you would easily be to file a civil suit against him for that.

You don't need to be in the same country to get divorced. Most state's allow you to settle an uncontested divorce out of court.

www.legalformsbank.biz/uncontesteddivorceforms.asp
dmf32835 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Viviane X.

It is interesting the things we do for love.

I am married to a Canadian Citizen. For the last nine years, I have been trying to get the divorce done. However, he repeatly refuses to provide his mailing address. I have tried to do it amicably and cordially; nevertheless, he refused to sign the divorce paper. I am a student and I cannot afford to pay an attorney. We have no property together, no children. We have never live together. He came to visit me last year as a visitor. I tried to get him to sign an affidavit but he refused to do so.

I don't know what to do. I believe he is working in China now. The only time he replies to my email when I get lovey-dovey email.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 10869 times