International Bigamy -- Will US law apply?

This is a discussion on International Bigamy -- Will US law apply? within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Me and my wife (both Indian) both live in US...we just got married in India this month but I just ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Rajbhargava's Flag is: United States

Default International Bigamy -- Will US law apply?

Me and my wife (both Indian) both live in US...we just got married in India this month but I just found out that my wife was already married in US last yr to her boyfriend who lives in South Africa (also Indian), he had just came to US to get married and he left after the wedding.

She did not tell me about her first marriage, she was under pressure and got married and was stupid to get married to me also before ending the first one. Now she is ready to get a divorce for her first marriage with mutual consent.

My question is that, is my marriage valid if they get a divorce? Since my wedding was in India and the first one was in US, I am not sure what the law is?
Should I get registered again in US after the process for their divorce is over?

Please help!

Thanks,
Raj
Rajbhargava is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default re: International Bigamy -- Will US law apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajbhargava View Post
Me and my wife (both Indian) both live in US...we just got married in India this month but I just found out that my wife was already married in US last yr to her boyfriend who lives in South Africa (also Indian), he had just came to US to get married and he left after the wedding.

She did not tell me about her first marriage, she was under pressure and got married and was stupid to get married to me also before ending the first one. Now she is ready to get a divorce for her first marriage with mutual consent.

My question is that, is my marriage valid if they get a divorce? Since my wedding was in India and the first one was in US, I am not sure what the law is?
Should I get registered again in US after the process for their divorce is over?

Please help!

Thanks,
Raj
Your wife is a bigamist for entering into a second marriage without dissolving the first one. Your marriage to her is not legal. Void.

Once she gets her divorce, then you two can marry. For the first one between the two of you is not valid.

And US law will apply. Marriage laws of your state and its criminal code. Bigamy.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: International Bigamy -- Will US law apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend In Court View Post
Your wife is a bigamist for entering into a second marriage without dissolving the first one. Your marriage to her is not legal. Void.

Once she gets her divorce, then you two can marry. For the first one between the two of you is not valid.

And US law will apply. Marriage laws of your state and its criminal code. Bigamy.

Thanks for the reply. Yes we are planning to get married after her divorce is final. I am not sure if I have to do anything about the wedding we had in India. If its already void then I guess I just dont have to worry about it any longer right?

Old Jul 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Unregistered

It depends if u live in the great state of texas the juge can in force your marriage to 2 wife been there done that

Old Jul 5th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #5
txjustice's Flag is: United States

undivorced american man residing in texas secretly married filipino woman.is this illegal? texas spouse married for 30 years just found out about this marriage. is their marriage valid? I filed for divorce after I found out about this marriage.
txjustice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 5th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

A person who is married, does not have the legal capacity to marry again. The 2nd marriage is voidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjustice View Post
undivorced american man residing in texas secretly married filipino woman.is this illegal? texas spouse married for 30 years just found out about this marriage. is their marriage valid? I filed for divorce after I found out about this marriage.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
bigamy

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1264 times