Senegal marriage: I want a divorce if I am legally married in Senegal

This is a discussion on Senegal marriage: I want a divorce if I am legally married in Senegal within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I feel in love with a gentleman in Senegal and we decided to marry I'm a US citizen. I realized ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #1
Livelife's Flag is: United States

Default Senegal marriage: I want a divorce if I am legally married in Senegal

I feel in love with a gentleman in Senegal and we decided to marry I'm a US citizen. I realized that I made a mistake, I don't think the marriage was really valid we did not go to a court in Senegal. What are the steps that I need to take to find out if I'm really married or not. I want a divorce if I am legally married in Senegal, I live in America.
Livelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Senegal marriage: I want a divorce if I am legally married in Senegal

I wish to inform you that you may marry in Senegal through marriage ceremony. In this regard generally registration of marriage is compulsory but non registration only imposes fine but will not invalidate marriage. Thus if you had performed marriage then you may take divorce. As you are in USA thus your attorney may represent you in Senegal or divorce may be taken in USA.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Top Level Member

Default Re: Senegal marriage: I want a divorce if I am legally married in Senegal

If your marriage is performed before a civil or religious official it is a valid marriage as per Senegal rules. You can file for a divorce petition in Senegal or U.S.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 5th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

The most expeditious way to dissolve the marriage is to file in the U.S. and have your husband served in Senegal. The rule is that if a marriage is valid in the jurisdiction where it was celebrated, it will be recognized as valid in the U.S. By filing for divorce you will end the marriage, one way or another. If the husband raises the defense that the marriage was not valid, problem solved. The court will make a finding on that point if the facts warrant. If it was valid, then a divorce will be granted.

If there is neither property nor children, the adoption of no fault divorce has made ending a marriage relatively simple nowadays. File for divorce where you live, as long as you meet your state's residency requirements. Your husband does not have to be present in the U.S, for the divorce to be granted.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1996 times