DIVORCE PROCESS: I HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FOR 20 YEARS

This is a discussion on DIVORCE PROCESS: I HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FOR 20 YEARS within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; HI I HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FOR 20 YEARS. IT IS TRUE THAT I DO NOT NEED TO FILE ON COURT? ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #1
sanchojg's Flag is: United States

Question DIVORCE PROCESS: I HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FOR 20 YEARS

HI I HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FOR 20 YEARS. IT IS TRUE THAT I DO NOT NEED TO FILE ON COURT? OR WHAT DO I NEED TO DO ON MY CASES. THANK YOU FOR YOU HELP.
sanchojg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: DIVORCE PROCESS: I HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FOR 20 YEARS

I wish to inform you that only court will declare a person as divorced. In this regard you will have to file for divorce in court where either of the party resides. The place where either you or other party is generally residing from last 6 months will have jurisdiction. At present you are separated but the marital relationship has not ended which requires divorce. Separation does not bring an end to marital relations and hence a court ordered divorce will be required by you. After court has pronounced divorce then your marital relation comes to an end.

AFF
AFFA is online now   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:15 AM   #3
CAFamilyLaw44's Flag is: United States

Default Re: DIVORCE PROCESS: I HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FOR 20 YEARS

If you are ready to get your divorce, there is much you need to do prior to starting the process:

First, can you locate your spouse and will he/she sign the papers once they are served on him/her?

Second, have you declared a specific date of separation? You can make it as far back as the start date of the twenty years since you have been separated, but it is VERY IMPORTANT to declare one so as to be able to determine what is community property and what is separate property and/or debts within the marriage.

For example, if you decide to declare your separation date as today, June 2nd, 2011, then any debts either of you have incurred from your date of marrigae until today (as well as any assets either of you have accrued during this time period) will be labeled as as "community" and is therefore subject to division by the court if you can't agree on how to divide it yourselves.

If you are ready to file, you can find the appropriate forms for your state either at your local courthouse or at the website sponsored by the court.

I hope this helps, and best of luck in your situation.

CAFamilyLaw44
www.prepyourdivorce.com
CAFamilyLaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3677 times