Married in Philippines, divorce here in US possible?

This is a discussion on Married in Philippines, divorce here in US possible? within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am presently here in the US with a valid B1/B2 visa. I got married in the Philippines but my ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #1
pinkribbon's Flag is: Philippines

Confused Married in Philippines, divorce here in US possible?

I am presently here in the US with a valid B1/B2 visa. I got married in the Philippines but my husband and I had separated in 2005.The annulment of our marriage is taking too long and too tasking. I have a boyfriend here in the US who is a US citizen and he wants to marry me. Can I file for divorce here in the US instead?
pinkribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Married in Philippines, divorce here in US possible?

I wish to inform you that you may file a suit for divorce in USA if either party is meeting the residency requirement in USA. In this regard generally the residency requirement is 6 months in the state where divorce is to be filed. However as divorce is not allowed in Philippines therefore your foreign divorce may not be valid in Philippines. Your remarriage will be valid under the US laws but under Philippines law as your divorce is not recognized therefore your remarriage may also have similar consequence.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
file for divorce, us citizen

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 5863 times