Can a Divorce be Changed to an Annulment?

This is a discussion on Can a Divorce be Changed to an Annulment? within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I know this sounds crazy to ask, but I was wondering if a divorce can be changed to an annulment, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Unregistered

Confused Can a Divorce be Changed to an Annulment?

I know this sounds crazy to ask, but I was wondering if a divorce can be changed to an annulment, and if so, what is the process to go about doing so?

Here's the situation, my husband and his ex-wife got divorced over 5 years ago.They were married for 9 years, separated (while waiting for a divorce) for 2 years, and had 3 children together.

He didn't know what his options were at the time, so he automatically applied for a divorce. His ex-wife has mental/emotional health issues, most of which she knew about going into the marriage (for example, tried to commit suicide when she was a teenager, and tried to do it later when she was married to my husband, etc.). I have heard of annulment cases being granted on grounds of mental/emotional illness. His ex-wife was abused as a child, but conveniently never told my husband before they were married. She lied and made up excuses for her unstable behavior. My husband felt cheated, lied to and betrayed because vital information about her--that she knew about but never said anything--was withheld from him. He would have never married her if he had known about her mental/emotional illnesses (depression, borderline personality, etc.)

So is it possible to change a divorce to an annulment? Has this ever been done before?

I know some people may ask why even bother, especially if the divorce is done and over, but my husband's ex-wife--being emotionally unstable--has spread rumors and lies about him and tried to ruin his reputation. My husband is a gentleman and wouldn't talk bad about her, but wishes he could say that he got an "annulment" instead of "divorce" which explains his situation better without having to disclose unkind (but true) information about his ex-wife.
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Can a Divorce be Changed to an Annulment?

[QUOTE=Unregistered;161665]I know this sounds crazy to ask, but I was wondering if a divorce can be changed to an annulment, and if so, what is the process to go about doing so?

Here's the situation, my husband and his ex-wife got divorced over 5 years ago.They were married for 9 years, separated (while waiting for a divorce) for 2 years, and had 3 children together.

He didn't know what his options were at the time, so he automatically applied for a divorce. His ex-wife has mental/emotional health issues, most of which she knew about going into the marriage (for example, tried to commit suicide when she was a teenager, and tried to do it later when she was married to my husband, etc.). I have heard of annulment cases being granted on grounds of mental/emotional illness. His ex-wife was abused as a child, but conveniently never told my husband before they were married. She lied and made up excuses for her unstable behavior. My husband felt cheated, lied to and betrayed because vital information about her--that she knew about but never said anything--was withheld from him. He would have never married her if he had known about her mental/emotional illnesses (depression, borderline personality, etc.)

So is it possible to change a divorce to an annulment? Has this ever been done before?

I know some people may ask why even bother, especially if the divorce is done and over, but my husband's ex-wife--being emotionally unstable--has spread rumors and lies about him and tried to ruin his reputation. My husband is a gentleman and wouldn't talk bad about her, but wishes he could say that he got an "annulment" instead of "divorce" which explains his situation better without having to disclose unkind (but true) information about his ex-wife.

P.S. We live in AZ. ....I'm not sure what AZ state law is on this type of thing.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Can a Divorce be Changed to an Annulment?

No.

It won't stop her from yapping anyway.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
annulment, divorce

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2313 times