Can I Violate a Protective Order if I am the Protected Person?

This is a discussion on Can I Violate a Protective Order if I am the Protected Person? within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I live in Texas. I have a Protective order against my husband because he has been violent in the past ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can I Violate a Protective Order if I am the Protected Person?

I live in Texas. I have a Protective order against my husband because he has been violent in the past and he was stalking me after I moved out. I am feeling a lot of pressure from my parents and my lawyer to about the divorce. I think my husband is improving himself, he has abiding by the protective order. He now has supervised visits with our child. I want to be able to work through our divorce amicably. I'm also open to the idea of counseling now since I see he can practice some restraint. He wants me to call him and I want to call him, I want to talk this out. I think that has been a good cooling off period. Can I call him? He is barred from communicating with me. Can I modify the protective order so that we could go to counseling, without losing all my protection just in case he starts being violent or stalking me again?
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Can I Violate a Protective Order if I am the Protected Person?

In order to talk to him again you must file to have the Protective Order rescinded, or terminated.

If you call him or talk to him with it still in place, he could still be arrested for violating the court order. So it's best to get the order lifted.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Person's Flag is: United States

Exclamation Re: Can I Violate a Protective Order if I am the Protected Person?

Hello,
My advice if he was for real violent with you don t give up on the protective order. They never change … once a batterer always a batterer. I have been through the same thing and this will work out for you. Restraining order will protect you and your child. The law is on your side. Attorney can be costly but you need to do what you need to do for your child. If you don t think about yourself at least think for your child. I know there are times when you think the system is worse than the he was with you but this is only because they need to make sure everything is real. THEY NEVER CHANGE. and when i say 'they' i refer to batterer men or women. It is funny how a parent that was violent and was found at fault for domestic violence can obtain custody. It is like it is ok to be abusive with the family… they can still be parents. What kind of values the child will learn? Will end up being either a batterer either the abuser…. YOU NEED TO FIGHT TO STOP THE CHAIN.

If you need to comunicate with him for the child ask the judge to put a note on the restraining order that you need to have contact with him ' EMAIL ONLY' on the restraining order. don t allow him to contact you via any other methods.. and if he is doing report him. you are probably in the first stage after you realised that he is a batterer which is dennial. if he indeed change you can have the restraining order removed later... IF he changed... he will have to prove himself for a long time.

A mom that was in the court for 2 years and a 3 months and continues…after wining sole custody for my child, i still need to go to the court.... he is taking me back for all reasons.... he is not abusive with me phisical he is abusive mentally and emotionally through the system. they always find a way to be in control. ALWAYS. I know what you feel, I have times when I want to give up on anything..times when I am asking myself if I should just finish and give up.. but than I wake up in the morning and I see my child smiling at me, happy that she is protected, happy that there is no fight and yelling and pushing and screaming in the house than I know that I need to pray and do whatever takes to protect her.

Stay well, I am praying for all people in the same situation (women and men).
Person is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Banned User
lunchbox's Flag is: United States

Personally, I suggest you keep the protective order intact.

But if you're really sure that you want to do it, you can ask your lawyer to have the protected order be lifted or terminated so you can communicate with him without violating any proceedings.
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Top Level Member

When the protective order is in force you have no right to violate the same. If you try to talk with him, automatically will amount to violation of the existing protective order. If you violate the existing order, you will be answerable to contempt of court. It seems that either you have to terminate the order or to get the order modified. But remember, if you are that much confident then alone go for terminating/modifying a protective order because a protective order is a shield for you and your kid. It is better advised that you may consult with your Attorney before taking any legal steps.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 4th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #6
bustozf's Flag is: United States

Lexus,
Are you sure the applicant can be found in contempt of court? I thought in Texas it was only one way enforced. Enforced on the respondent...if I am wrong tell me.
bustozf is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 4917 times