Cohabitating with the Ex will never end!

This is a discussion on Cohabitating with the Ex will never end! within the Divorce, Separation, Annulment forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My ex & I have been forced into cohabitation for over a year since the divorce was final due to ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #1

Default Cohabitating with the Ex will never end!

My ex & I have been forced into cohabitation for over a year since the divorce was final due to financial constraints and this messy economy. During the entire time, the house has been on the market with no offers. I have asked the ex to consider lowering the price, but to no avail. I have been told that the only way lowering the price would be considered is if I hand over my portion of the equity after paying off the first & second mortgages. The best part is that I am currently having to pay more on the mortgage and other household bills than the ex. Not to mention, doing all the prep work for showings & open houses. If & when we get a reasonable offer on the house, can I take the ex to court for holding up the sell of the house if he/she refuses to except the offer?
FreedomPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Cohabitating with the Ex will never end!

Yes you can. Document your actions, the neighboring sales and prices, the offers, your showings, etc. and provide to the the court and the court can force the sale if need be. It happens often.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #3

Thanks for your response. I have already started with my real estate agent on getting info on comparable sold properties around us and will continue to document everything else like you suggested. Thanks again!
FreedomPlease is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Unregistered

If she's refusing to cooperate with the sale of the house (i.e. not accepting reasonable offers, refuses to lower the price after a reasonable time on the market) you can ask your attorney to file a motion to partition. In this, the judge will order the house to be sold at a price comparable to the current market conditions.

It can get expensive however, but may be a last resort if she's trying to curtail your inevitable permanent separation. I

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 861 times